Whats the best size for nymphs and woolly's

jwatts

jwatts

I am getting ready to tie a few nymphs ( caddis nymphs,pheasant tail nymphs, scuds) for some of the local trout streams in NePa. What are the most popular size nymph/scud hook I should use? Also what size do most of you fish woolly buggers? I am fairly new to this and I don't want to tie a bunch of off the wall sizes that I wont use. Thank you for your time

Kinda depends on what you plan on doing, but for P-tails, Suds and caddis size 16 is a good place to start. I would recommend tying some waltz worms in size 14 as they require minimal tying skill, only use one material, and catch fish anywhere in the country. For the buggers size 10 is solid.

For nymphs I use mostly 14,16,18 2xl,1xl, and standard length more then anything. If you're gunna tie beadheads definetly get 1xl or 2xl hooks. For buggers sz12 2xl up to 6 or 8 4xl is what I use. But like In the mend said it depends on what you are doing, where you are going, time of year, etc.

Daichii 1560 size 16 for nymphs.

size of nymphs depends on whats in the streams you fish. turn over some rocks and see what lives on them

size 8-20 should work for nymphs

woolys in size 8-10-12

NePa should be 10-16 nymphs for mayflies and caddis
stones 6-16
buggers 4-10
that's if you are fishing from Northampton up to Wayne county

jwatts wrote:
I am getting ready to tie a few nymphs ( caddis nymphs,pheasant tail nymphs, scuds) for some of the local trout streams in NePa. What are the most popular size nymph/scud hook I should use? Also what size do most of you fish woolly buggers? I am fairly new to this and I don't want to tie a bunch of off the wall sizes that I wont use. Thank you for your time

Since you're new to this, it would probably be better to stick to larger sizes fro starts. For nymphs, a size #12 hook is a good size to start. After you have turned out a few PTs and caddis, step down a couple sizes and do some in #14 and #16. In the springtime, I like bigger nymphs but for summer and fall, I think smaller ones produce better (#16-18). For Wooly Buggers, a good start would be a fly that is about two inches including tail and you'll want to match that to a hook about 1-1.5" in length.

If I had to pick one size for each, I would buy size 14 1X long for nymphs and size 4 streamers. I like my buggers to be big.

I agree with Fishidiot that when summer rolls around smaller is better. I primarily fished size 18 nymphs last summer and had much better success. Mostly fished just Pheasant tails and Caddis Pupas for nymphs. I would start with the 12's like he said and work your way down to 18's. I think size 8 and 10 buggers should have you covered for that.

I catch trout with a size 14 nymph "ALL" year long. I use smaller & larger nymphs as well.

Can't go wrong with these or anything either side of them on the size spectrum:

Nymphs #14
Buggers #10

As far as pheasant tail goes, I don't think you can go wrong using a size 12- 16, on the other hand for buggers, I like really small ones, like a size about 14 and bigger

Nymphs: 12, 14, 16
buggers: 6, 8, 10

don't for get the perla stone fly nymphs for the north east. size 6-10

thanks everyone, I have never heard of the Perla stonefly. Is it golden in color?

Nymphs 14, 16, 18
Buggers 6, 8, 10

Back