Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: What vise do you use?

From Philadelphia
Afish,
lol...nice of you to remember my putzing around. Yes, I am really comfortable with it now. Can't imagine tying without it. It's not so much that it's faster, though it is; it's the precision that works so well. Everything is just cleaner. I tie to enjoy and catch fish rather than for the art of it, but since I've been on the Mongoose, there's a crispness to my flies that I hadn't gotten close to before.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/8/3 20:12

Guest_
Gads! I'm darn glad I re-read the feed topic, on this forum!! I'd have SWORN, you'd asked "What Vices do you guys have?" Scared me to death...............didn't know if I'd have room to list them all!?! Started out with "whiskey, gambling and women", then while re-reading, figured out you meant "FLY TYING VISES"!?!
Anyway, I've been tying for somewhere around 30 years and have gone through a few dozen models of vises, in that time. I've used a Regal, and to me........... still the best built vise for the buck on the market............ for about 15 of those years and still use it for larger flies, like bucks and streamers. But, your choice of vise, really caught my eye, because I've been using an Anvil Apex now for small work, (16 to 26's), for three years and after a little "self modification", I love it!
The self modifications, I refer to is my adapting the Anvil to a setup of Dyna King swivel arms and brackets..making the vise do just about anything I want and need for it to do!
It's a great little vise, for the money and hard to beat for its light weight and packability.

Posted on: 2007/8/5 4:23

From SE Pa.
I have been using the Apex Anvil for about 4 yrs ,I also have a Rensetti Traveler but like the Apex better

Posted on: 2007/8/6 20:15

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
My bride bought me a Griffin Mongoose Christmas before last after conspiring with a good friend as to what sort of vise I might like. It replaced a $50 1970's vintage Orvis cam vise that I held together with pins from a Thompson A.

The Mongoose is a wonderful vise, but I don't use the rotary feature and probably never will. I'm simply too set in my ways and don't believe it makes that much of a difference anyway.

I do use the little springy materials clip that came with it though. It works a little better than the 2 ballpoint pen springs I had connected and was using for this purpose before...

Posted on: 2007/8/7 20:42

From Philadelphia
Rleep,
Certainly won't argue with a man set in his ways, as I have my own but you might be favorably impressed by the precision you can get using the rotary feature, especially on flies with spiral wraps.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/8/8 12:02

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>but you might be favorably impressed by the precision you can get using the rotary feature, especially on flies with spiral wraps.>>

Well, truth be told, I never read any of the instructions until a week ago Tuesday when I wanted to tie some smallmouth flies and had to see how to adjust it to hold bigger hooks. And this despite having the vise since Christmas of 05.

And in any event, if you ask Troutbert, he'll tell you that all I tie is #10 deerhair ants and size 14 humpies anyway...:)

So, the rotary thing never really came up before.

But I'm sure you're right and will have a go at it....:)

Posted on: 2007/8/8 16:39

From Philadelphia
```Rleep,
I seldom use the rotary feature on my smalller flies, though it does do a nice job of hackling. But either way, the Mongoose is a nice vise.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/8/9 13:40

From Pottstown, PA
Renzetti Traveler. Got such a great deal I bought two so I can keep one in my take-along tying kit. I used the old reliable Thompson model "A" for years and just switched last year. I also find that the more I tie, the more I use the rotary feature.

Posted on: 2007/9/17 6:45

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Thats funny the more I tie for the store the more i use non-rotary,,most commercial tyers who use more than 1 vise use a standard type...I watched a guy in maine using 6 for one fly...

Posted on: 2007/9/17 19:45

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

From Pittsburgh
I bought a Thompson 360 degree rotary vice when I strted tying 25 years ago, and it served me well for 15 years.
10 years ago, at the local fly show, I bought a regal knockoff for $50. It's imported, and the steel jaws aren't the best quality - I have to file the jaws every year or so. But it's so much nicer to use - just placing the fly in the jaws without fiddling around and adjusting the clamp. I don't think I could ever go back to any other kind of vice now, and I plan on splurging on a regal soon

Posted on: 2007/9/18 17:52

From Benton Pa
I put 2700 dozen through my Regal during the last 28 months and she's still good as new. My Danvise seen probably 4000 dozen and held up until I bought my Regal. Before the Danvise, my Thompson needed jaw work every 5-6 months.

Posted on: 2007/9/25 17:59

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
51 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com