What flies are these???

fishingkidPA

fishingkidPA

what kind of flies are these? i got them in my starter kit. Could you also tell me if they are dry flies which i think they are. Thanks

oh and the last 2 my dad tied when he was a kid, i cant tell if they are streamers or dry flies, would they be good or not?

wait, why arent the pics uploading when i ask it too? any one know why then i will upload pics, sorry about this post now

Attachments

• 0213112307.jpg
    0213112307.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 12
  • 0213112307a.jpg
    0213112307a.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 0213112307b.jpg
    0213112307b.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 0213112308.jpg
    0213112308.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 3
How big are the files and what is the file type?

jpeg 2.21 mb

maybe cause i took it with a photography camera, i wanted you guys to be able to see them as clear as possible

doesnt say how big but by hook size at the biggest 10 smallest 14

The first picture is a royal wulf. The last picture is streamers. Can't see the others well enough to make a decision.

KidPA,
The first fly is a dry fly and appears to be a pattern known as a Royal Coachman. The next two flies are unclear to me but may be dry flies as they appear to have hackle ("Hackle" is usually a wrapped chicken feather). The bottom pic are definitely streamers - they're what are known as "feather wing" in that the wings are made of chicken feathers dyed bright colors. This type of streamer isn't used by as many fly fishermen as would have used them 70 or so years ago but they will still catch fish.

Perhaps I am too critical, but since this is a starter kit and you are learning, the first thing to do is recognize that the first three are poorly tied flies. Do not use them as models, which unfortunately is probably what they were included in the kit for. I will spare an opinion on the ones your Dad tied because, well, that's your old man and gets respect no matter what, and I can't make them out very well given the photo anyway.

The third fly is almost certainly a poorly tied Renegade--White hackle at front, peacock body, brown hackle at hook barb, maybe a gold tag at the bend.

Rather than go through why I consider these poorly tied, please go to this menu, then select, "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly."

Flyfisher's Paradise Tying Articles

I love feather wing streamers but after soaking for awhile,the wing will rap around the hook-sad as they are as good as any streamer for catching trout.

yea i knew they wouldnt be good, just thought i would gain some knowledge on what they are. I might just use them for Pan Fish. Hopefully the LL bean flies i bought are better, closest fly store by me.

DGC-not critical at all. I would rather someone be told that their flies need improvement than Letting them continue to tie poorly made flies. It is better to have a well made fly as an example to learn by, then a poorly made one.

DGC wrote:
I will spare an opinion on the ones your Dad tied because, well, that's your old man and gets respect no matter what, and I can't make them out very well given the photo anyway.

Actually, his father seems to have tied some pretty servicable little streamers, complete with well painted eyes. I'd bet they'd work quite well. The old man's definatly better with a paint brush dotting eyes than I'll ever be.

You should save some of those anyways, but if you've got a box, you should fish up the rattiest ones. I bet they do well.

I've had some stellar days fishing streamers similar to those in the last picture. The ones I used just had a big chunk of Marabou tied in right behind the head on a size 8 3XL streamer hook. The head was finished with a clear epoxy and had yellow eyes painted on, much like the picture. They work great in Black and White and take about 2 mins to tie.

Wrap a thread base from the eye to a quarter of the way to the bend. Tie in a big chunk of Marabou, the hook shank will look exposed, but once its wet, it really covers up the whole shank. Finish the head by painting eyes, epoxy, and let dry. I usually don't add weight, but often fish them in tandem with a larger streamer in front.

yea i didnt make these, like i said they just came with the starter kit and i wanted to know what they were. i have other flies i got.

Back