What's your tying setup look like?

D

dubthethorax

I've been trying to build a portable bench that works well. My first one was very basic but I felt it needed more. I ripped it apart yesterday and rebuilt it from the ground up. I'm no carpenter and my woodworking skills suck badly, but I'm pretty happy with it so far from a functional standpoint. Anyone have any other tips or suggestions?

I'm going to add more holes for beads, etc, and probably build a new one and stain it, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 18
5198234577_883eec4458_z.jpg

I cleaned it one day, and was impressed with myself.

Gee Gary I'm surprised, I pictured your tying desk like the pic below, not like an OCD person's desk....;-)

Attachments

• Allmessedup.jpg
    Allmessedup.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 3
afishinado wrote:
Gee Gary I'm surprised, I pictured your tying desk like the pic below, not like an OCD type desk....;-)

You missed the fine print:
I cleaned it one day, and was impressed with myself.

Normally I have to sift through piles of things to find something I want, but it was after Somerset and I needed to put things away.

Full disclosure: The cropped image is tilt's tying station, not mine. Then again, mine is messier (the one with the white lamp).

Here's mine.

Attachments

• DSC09005 - Copy.JPG
    DSC09005 - Copy.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 5
My mess-

Complete with a nice yough brown screensaver. He took a dry, provides me inspiration as I am freaking out on some dumb fly.

Would be remiss if I did not state that I enjoy fly tying enjoyable once in a while; consider myself more of a dabbler of fly tying.

Attachments

• mess.jpg
    mess.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 3
Picture spending more time looking for materials than tying and you have a picture of my desk.

Not the greatest photo, or vise....

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2
Here's my set-up.

Attachments

• tying.jpg
    tying.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 3
I'm jealous. I have an old style wooden school desk. Guess we just make do with what we have. I'm still young, some day it will probably be much larger.

Here is mine after a clean up

clouser008.jpg

clouser010.jpg

clouser011.jpg

wow. I'm jealous! good stuff. thanks for sharing.

Mines a sh*t hole my stuff is everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PACO......I hear you and i feel your pain , while i can't post pics yet , let me just say that mine looks like several chickens and duck and geese have exploded.

I'll post a picture this evening. Just got it set up with the new house, though still in need of a few pieces (on the Christmas list).

I bought a really nice drop leaf desk at an auction to set up a second mini location in my home for when I don't feel like heading to the basement. My wife has been really pushing for me to give it to her, she says I'll ruin it with tying flies on it. Too bad!

I just don't know exactly how I'll feel sitting at a Victorian style writing desk tying my flies, might make me look a little silly.

I'll send a pic once I have it set up.

This is a great post. I was just thinking of how to set up my tying station. Should get some ideas here. I hate to be disorganized.

Back