Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: What's your tying setup look like?

From Johnstown, PA
PACO......I hear you and i feel your pain , while i can't post pics yet , let me just say that mine looks like several chickens and duck and geese have exploded.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 6:41

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I'll post a picture this evening. Just got it set up with the new house, though still in need of a few pieces (on the Christmas list).

Posted on: 2010/12/7 9:24

From Shamokin-Coal Township
I bought a really nice drop leaf desk at an auction to set up a second mini location in my home for when I don't feel like heading to the basement. My wife has been really pushing for me to give it to her, she says I'll ruin it with tying flies on it. Too bad!

I just don't know exactly how I'll feel sitting at a Victorian style writing desk tying my flies, might make me look a little silly.

I'll send a pic once I have it set up.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 12:58

From So MD/Misplaced Pittsburgher
This is a great post. I was just thinking of how to set up my tying station. Should get some ideas here. I hate to be disorganized.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 13:29

From Eastern PA
Fred I like your flashaboo holder.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 21:04

From Eastern PA
First photo is overview of tying/poker/man cave room.

Second is the tying station I threw together one day. It was actually cleaned up for once, then Jay got drunk and started producing 6" streamers.

Third is a mobile material storage. It is on rubber rollers so I can wheel it into a small closet off the basement entry.

Last is a group of Czech nymphs I tied up the other day just because they have a hilarious name. Well that and I think they are awesome looking. Any one (other than Jay) know the name of this series?

Attach file:

jpg  P1160228.JPG (173.55 KB)
2943_4cfeeb892a7fc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  P1160229.JPG (169.55 KB)
2943_4cfeebad674a9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  P1160230.JPG (171.33 KB)
2943_4cfeebd2480b1.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  P1160232.JPG (164.86 KB)
2943_4cfeeca0df02d.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2010/12/7 21:23

From Gettysburg
Jdad,
Wow. Now that's a serious tying set up - nice!

Posted on: 2010/12/7 21:26

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Thanks. My carpentry skills far exceed my tying skills.

This will probably be of interest to you, Fishidiot. I had the opportunity a number of years ago to harvest a few select maple trees from the battlefield in Gettysburg. I lucked out and found some of the most amazing heavily figured curly maple. Really awesome stuff, with a historical significance of sorts (trees not that old but was on a famous national battle ground park). Getting them out of there was tough, as we could not impact the "landscaping". Anyway, we took them out, hand sawed the logs, solar kiln dried. All of this was done with traditional hand tools. I donated a good bit of the stuff I produced, gave a lot to friends and family that were into that type of history. The cool thing is I got to really refine my hand tool skills,while producing items that allowed for a fair amount of error in the learning curve. We used traditional finishes as well. I still have a few hundred board feet in a storage shed over in Ephrata. I have got to get back on that some day.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 21:28

From Gettysburg
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

Thanks. My carpentry skills far exceed my tying skills.

This will probably be of interest to you, Fishidiot. I had the opportunity a number of years ago to harvest a few select maple trees from the battlefield in Gettysburg. I lucked out and found some of the most amazing heavily figured curly maple. Really awesome stuff, with a historical significance of sorts (trees not that old but was on a famous national battle ground park). Getting them out of there was tough, as we could not impact the "landscaping". Anyway, we took them out, hand sawed the logs, solar kiln dried. All of this was done with traditional hand tools. I donated a good bit of the stuff I produced, gave a lot to friends and family that were into that type of history. The cool thing is I got to really refine my hand tool skills,while producing items that allowed for a fair amount of error in the learning curve. We used traditional finishes as well. I still have a few hundred board feet in a storage shed over in Ephrata. I have got to get back on that some day.

Neat story. I agree that wood from the battlefield, esp from very old trees ("witness trees" we call em) has some sentimental value. I'm told there was a time not too long ago that saw mills looked askance at lumber from around G-burg, esp oak and walnut, due to the problem of shrapnel and bullets in the wood that supposedly could damage saws. Whether it's true or not I don't know but we certainly do have hundreds of local trees that were standing during the battle. We lose a couple every year and woodworkers nowadays seem eager to get the wood for these sentimental reasons.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 22:24

Webmaster
Man you guys have some great setups. Gfen and Frederick you places look really clean. You guys showing off or is it that way all the time? Wsender Nice touch without the Christmas candle. Jdaddy the large screen wins.

I'll need to touch base with you guys. I have been trying to do research on Fly-fishing man caves without much luck.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 22:43

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
First photo is overview of tying/poker/man cave room.

Second is the tying station I threw together one day. It was actually cleaned up for once, then Jay got drunk and started producing 6" streamers.

Third is a mobile material storage. It is on rubber rollers so I can wheel it into a small closet off the basement entry.

Last is a group of Czech nymphs I tied up the other day just because they have a hilarious name. Well that and I think they are awesome looking. Any one (other than Jay) know the name of this series?

Great setup. I love the mechanics cart setup for the materials.

How often do you find bits of peacock herl wedged between your hole cards?

I'll take a stab...... Gary's Hotspots?

Posted on: 2010/12/7 23:01

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Here it is, brand new and not yet used (just bought the house). Since the picture, I've added a light (ott-lite). Some organizers are yet to come, hopefully Christmas presents but if not I'll buy them on my own.

Attach file:

jpg  tying_bench.JPG (81.02 KB)
1353_4cff06d4ade71.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/12/7 23:17

From Eastern PA
Quote:
Neat story. I agree that wood from the battlefield, esp from very old trees ("witness trees" we call em) has some sentimental value. I'm told there was a time not too long ago that saw mills looked askance at lumber from around G-burg, esp oak and walnut, due to the problem of shrapnel and bullets in the wood that supposedly could damage saws. Whether it's true or not I don't know but we certainly do have hundreds of local trees that were standing during the battle. We lose a couple every year and woodworkers nowadays seem eager to get the wood for these sentimental reasons.

The shrapnel issue is very real, particularly for folks using the newer band saw blade systems for sawing. Those blades are crazy expensive. Metal detectors take care of most issues, such as nails in trees used for fences, etc, but no real way to pick up that lead! Having said that, there is zero fear when sawing by hand! That is rough work. Looking at my weight right now, I need to saw a few thousand board feet by hand.

Quote:
I'll need to touch base with you guys. I have been trying to do research on Fly-fishing man caves without much luck.

I use the TV HDMI in from my laptop HDMI out. Really awesome to be able to watch youtube tying videos. I'd be willing to give a review of my man cave as it is pretty tricked out, but anyone that has been to my house can tell you that it's about the only room in the house that is tricked out!

Quote:
I'll take a stab...... Gary's Hotspots?

Nope, but I like it!

Posted on: 2010/12/7 23:26

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Fred I like your flashaboo holder.

Thats what she said

http://www.oasisbenches.com/accessories.htm

Posted on: 2010/12/7 23:28

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Dang, I think I might just have to build a few of those. Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 23:46

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
151 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com