wax worm pattern

djmyers

djmyers

A friend was asking me about a wax worm imitation. Does anyone have an affective pattern for these?

Latex works well for wax worms.
Tie it in and wrap it forward.
(If you want to add color --- sharpie)

Theres a guy on another site that uses a rubberband and a beadhead that a lot of people claim is effective.

I just use a cream colored caddis larva, which is what you'll be truly imitating in the water since wax worms don't live in water. It's been pretty effective for me.

Walt's worm works fine too.

Heres a couple different patterns ive did.

111oxm0.jpg

nvqkbc.jpg

They came in number one for fresh stockies with san juan and weenie following

I use the rubber band like the one centered in the pic above...

No matter how exact looking a fly is to a wax worm it is not nearly as effective I guarantee. Make all the patterns you want but they just will not work as often as you think they should. I believe the majority of the wax worms success is the sent it leaves off. I took a few kids from school to help stock and then we fished for fish and I wanted them to catch fish. I gave them all wax worms and everyone caught fish while everyone else around wasn't catching anything.

I would have to disagree, i was fishing a pattern of a wax worm as pictured above right next to a bait fisherman who was fishing the real thing. I was catching fish, he was not, perhaps it was presentation.

A real wax worm fished on a weightless (or nearly weightless) dead drift will outfish a fly, I'd think.

It's the presentation.

jayL knows the wax worm presentation I see lol

Back