Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: wanted: simple green drakes

From Pa
Thanks. It's a foam that a buddy of mine gets me from a shop in the Sunbury/Selinsgrove area. Not sure of the name of the shop, but I see other shops selling the same material, so it's out there. I think FFP has it at their shop.

Posted on: 2007/3/22 5:46

From Pittsburgh
Festus:

I'll have to give it a try, although I wonder if it might twist the tippet with a fly that big. The microweb materiel is porous,- lets air thru it to help with that problem.

By the way - I just gotta ask - Are you gonna bring Miss Kitty to the Jamboree?

Posted on: 2007/3/22 9:31

From Greensburg, PA
Just to be clear...getting a twisted leader (wind knots) are not caused by the fly, they are caused by an improper casting stroke. With that said, let me say next, I get them all the time. I use the micro mesh and like it too. But if you have problems with your cast, even hackle tips or mallard flank or micro mesh or whatever will twist your leader. So I see no harm in it. Though I do think a solid wing as opposed to a wing that allows some air flow, should twist less. As I told the guy who last reminded me that it was my cast and not the fly, "yes, but any help I can get to counter my casting flaws are greatly appreciated..."

Posted on: 2007/3/22 10:00

From Pa
Quote:
By the way - I just gotta ask - Are you gonna bring Miss Kitty to the Jamboree?

Ms Kitty is to busy acting in a barbaric manner with barbaric feeeshin gear to pay any attention to us fly feeshers.

Attach file:

jpg  melfish2.jpg (0.00 KB)
448_4602b3fab963c.jpg X px

Posted on: 2007/3/22 12:51

From Lock Haven, PA
Festus...is it foam or is it Webwing material by Hareline? If its the Webwing material I'm still not sure how well that stuff will float but I have seen others use it and was thinking about trying a pattern something what u have shown.

Posted on: 2007/3/24 22:18

From Pa
This stuff is foam sheeting. I know it floats well, doesn't twist leaders unless they are to small. I get it from a fly shop in the Sunbury area. I can put you in touch if you need info on buying the foam.

Attach file:

jpg  foam.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2007/3/25 10:14

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I fished a lot of drake hatches on a lot of PA freestones never using anything more complex than a Gray Fox Variant.

http://www.gallinago.x.se/watershed/basecamp/000011.html

It's never let me down.

But as some of the other guys were saying, limestone drakes are a different story.

Usually, when the drakes are on the limestones, I fish a sulfur...:)

Posted on: 2007/3/26 18:39

I go to that fly shop all the time. It is called "Fly Tyers Heaven" in Sunbury off 61. He makes preformed wings and apprently he sells just the foam too. I didn't know that.

BJ

Posted on: 2007/5/28 11:20

The easiest pattern I have ever seen for the green drake is to simply tie in 3 hackle tips for a tail, one brown and two grizzly. Palmer the three feathers to right behind the eye. Tie off, whip finish and that's it. Tied on a 10 or 8 2x long. Although, I have never used them during the drake hatch as someone taught me this fly a couple years ago and I haven't been able to make it home since learning it, it is extremely easy to tie and while not as pretty as some other patterns looks "buggy" enough to catch fish.

Posted on: 2007/5/31 9:59

From Monessen, PA
I'm not sure I understand this simple pattern: are the hackle tips "tied in as a tail" the same ones that are palmered forward or are these 3 different feathers?

Is there a dubbing used for the body? If so, I presume it is cream-colored. If not, what then?

Sounds a bit like a #10 griffith's gnat.

Posted on: 2007/5/31 10:32

From Greensburg, PA
Sounds like a Bivisible with a tail and only in one color instead of two...would that make it a "visible"?

Posted on: 2007/5/31 10:43

Yeah the same ones tied in as a tail are palmered forward. No dubbing used. I guess palmered isn't a great term because you need to make the wraps much tighter than you would normally palmer a fly. Like I said I have never used it, but an older gentlemen that taught it to me said that is all he uses for the drake hatch. It is definitely much darker looking than an eastern green drake. I'm assuming you can clip the bottom portion of the hackle to make it ride a little lower. He said he also uses oversized hackle as well.

Posted on: 2007/5/31 11:24

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com