Vises

troutmagnet

troutmagnet

i no this question has bein brought up many of times, but i am looking to get a decent vise to start out tying flies, and would like to work down to sixe 20 hooks, i dont want to spend 150 bucks for a vise, thanks

check out the Anvil vises. $100 with a lifetime warranty.

Peak Rotary Vice. I think it's right around 150.

ok i will look at the anvile ones, r they pretty good?

I've been using this one (with pedestal stand) for 10 years. I cannot justify an upgrade. It does everything I need it to do, from size 1/0 to size 28 hooks. I tie 75%+ of the flies I use, and they all come from this ugly old thing.

There are better ones out there, but I'm not interested in spending the money on them at this point in time. I save that for gear that helps me catch more fish and better enjoy my time outside.

Hey, I've got one of those nasty, old things. Although it is capable of tying flies smaller then a 20, I am not.

I have a HMH Standard and really like it.

ok i might just try a cheap one to start then thanks

for ~$40 this is hard to beat:
http://store.hookhack.com/E-Z-Rotary-Vises/products/229

I use a Renzetti Traveller, but I started with a Thompson Model A vise and still use it sometimes and it's a perfectly servicable tool.
The Cabela's AA appears to be an improved version of the old Thompson vise, so I heartily endorse it as well. I borrowed a "DanVise" once and didn't like it at all.

what about a basspro crown vise,
http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-reg-Crown-Spring-Tension-Vise/product/10220904/-1760826
i believe it as a regal replica.

Honestly, I wish I'd bought that in the beginning. I suspect you'll get some quality time out of it to help you decide if you want to invest more, and what way you want to go.

Ya, I have a $450 Regal (purchased in Cabelas Bargain Cave for less obviously) and the jaws on this $40 unit are very similar. Seems like a winner to me.

ok sweet, i will be getting it soon, thanks for helping me pick one.

tobewan77 wrote:
for ~$40 this is hard to beat:
http://store.hookhack.com/E-Z-Rotary-Vises/products/229

That's the vise I learned on. It really is great for the money, but it sucks once you get into size 6 and bigger hooks. doesnt hold that well.

I know you don't want to spend alot on your vice,but sir if i may concur.How you spend your money is your business,but since a dollar doesn't go far at all thses days IMHO it is imperative to buy the best tools you can afford for the obvious reason is that if you choose less...less is always what you get .
The five instruments most basically important in your flytying adventures are as follows: Vise{Rotary if palmering alot or doing
{production tying
Bobbin{ceramic tubed}
Scissors {2 pair one for fine work ,
{ the other for deer hair &
{ synthetics.
Hackle Pliers{ 2 pair one for small
{hackles , one for larger
{ Hackles
Whip Finisher{Materelli
If i could recommend such tools, shall i suggest
Vise: Renzetti 2200 traveller will tie #4/0-#28 and is rotary so if you tie alot of wooly buggers,elk hair caddis,stimulators.or tie for shops this vice is the best at the pricepoint.
HMH Spartan is also a great vice and accepts three different jaws so you can tie different sizes.this is a great vice for the money and is what is termed stationary.with all three jaws it tie #32-#6/0 the extra jaws will cost you extra
Scissors: Dr Slick Arrow tips for fine work,$" for heavy work
Hackle pliers: English :medium size for larger hackles
Ez hackle pliers:Jack Gartside made these popular
are excellent for Small hackles, there are also
Griffin Rotating Hackle pliers for the tier that ties on
a stationary vice this is a fine choice as well
Whip Finisher : Materelli the finest and best for buck
if you don't like whip finishers you can always use a
half hitch tool
this list will serve you well as long as you take care of your tools.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Lonewolve wrote:
Vise: Renzetti 2200 traveller will tie #4/0-#28 and is rotary so if you tie alot of wooly buggers,elk hair caddis,stimulators.or tie for shops

$150 buys a year or more worth of materials for most people, and is the difference between this and the one he picked out.

Also, as he's pointed out before, he's like 8 years old and I'm not sure how many news papers one delivers to make a buck fitty, but I'm willing to bet its over 9000.

A $10 Thompson AA works as well as a $900 Law vise, it just isn't as refined and who cares?

Gfen,
Easy there boy, i don't know his age .I was only giving some helpful advice is all.And i was just trying to keep him or anyone else from buying something they will regret..also theres a lot better resale value if the tying thing doesn't work out as planned.
BTW for your information I started on a Thompson 360 Slt and tied for four shops as well as some clients that i guided.It is a great starter vise,But then Thompson went out of business ,untill recently there wasn't a way to get parts for your vice , they are back in business again but to what degree i cant comment,Also i can't comment on the current Thompson quality.I know for a fact that my Thompson was bomb proof and tied anywhere between 500-1500 dozen flies for the three years i owned it.
I have a Renzetti Master vice,bought and paid for with Full Dress Atlantic Salmon flies i tied for a client,he also ordered a Shadowbox too.I am not rich, i work my butt off i have a full time job that requires me to work 3rd shift most days are 7 1/2 hours then 4 hours forced mandatory overtime,after that i also have a side business doing alot of different kinds of work from Carpentry to Tree work.So as for money being an issue don't even go there.where there's a will there's a way.
I only mentioned items that when saved for and bought will serve any tier for a damn good long time.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

I dunno, the one that's collecting dust in my house somewhere says Made in India, but it looks and smells like a Thompson AA, so for my intents, it is.

If I knew where it was, I'd give it to him. He'd also have to ride his bike here, but we're in free candy territory, and that's Bassman country.

Back