Virgin Tier

• Thread starter Flyfishmedic732
  • Start date
Flyfishmedic732

Flyfishmedic732

So I am thinking of diving into fly tying in my spare time.....what am I getting into? LOL :-? :-?

a money pit...but a hell of an enjoyable and rewarding one. It also helps to be patient, it takes a while and a lot of practice to get good at it.

Marty's Rules of fishing: "#5. Fishing only with store bought flies is like trying to talk to a pretty girl through and interpreter……… it works sort of ………it will work far better if you learn the language and tie your own flies………more satisfying and more effective."

from http://classicflyrodforum.com/topic/26447/Tiny-Water-Stalkers-what-to-enjoy-besides-the-Boo?page=24#.TehMSFui_Xw

Hahaha some how I know the words "money pit" would come out....but aren't most enjoyable hobbies money pits?

I dont think it is a money pit. It take a bit to get started but once you are going it doesnt take up much money at all. Keep supplying beads and hooks and such and thats about it. Definitely WAY cheaper than buying flies and much more rewarding too.

Thats what I hear TLoomis.....I am actually looking forward to it. I know how much fun it is to catch them on a store bought fly.....I can only imagine what it feels like when you hook one on one that you tied yourself!!!

Exactly! I remember my first fly...it was an elk hair caddis...well more like antelope hair caddis that i stole from an old mount my great grandfather gave to me. It was the ugliest fly you'd ever see but i caught 4 brownies on it :)

Definitely try it. Buy an affordable vise...a AA or something similar...and The Benchside Introduction To Fly Tying by Ted Lesson and Jim Schollmeyer. Its the best book I've ever seen to learn from. I think you'll really enjoy it.

The most expensive part about it is the dry fly capes/hooks and beads. But at least the capes last awhile.. for me anyhow.

It is however an excellent way to pass time and very rewarding. Have fun with it!

I just started tying this past winter and love it. There is a video tutorial on most every popular fly on Youtube so you can follow along.
Much more rewarding to catch on your own tie!!

I don't know what's close to the Lehigh Valley, but the local Bass Pro Shop offers free fly tying lessons during the fall and winter. It's a great way to get started, meet some people, and learn to ignore all the things you don't need to learn. There may be something similar at one of the larger outdoor shops in your area.

Medic Start visiting your second hand stores in your area on a regular basis once you get into the tying you can find lots of things there that are very useful for your setup,and this fall start looking for fur collars and capes etc. I have gotten everything from beaver to muskrat and beyond most for a dollar a collar sometimes maybe two. Lots of rabbit and once was offered a full mink coat for 10 bucks but had lots of mink at the time.

Well I attemoted to tie my very first fly......wasnt so pretty LOL. Unfortunately I do not ave a lot of patterns to choose from right now because it was a kit that I bought for my dad a few years back and he attempted as well. So far it is time consuming but pretty neat. I learned a lot about what goes into making a fly and what not....The fly.....well lets just say it was huge!!!!! I think I used too much material LOL. Definitely doing my research and looking at books. So far I like it!

Like I said before, patience and persistence are key...your first attempts usually don't turn out very well, but if you keep at it, they will improve. Also, no matter how badly they turn out, hold on to your first ties, so that you can see how far you've come once you get the hang of i.

As a semi new tyer I have learned a lot from the internet and to Youtube. I think that the videos are much more informational than going by books. Not only do you see the finished product but your able to see it tyed before your eyes and you can watch it over and over and at any time of the day. Try finding a good local shop with good people. Im lucking in that I have one about five miles from my house and the people that not only own it but the others that work there are very neoligable, helpful and you get a chance to meet other people that tye. During the off peak fishing times try to find someone that is giving a class, it can be very helpfull. Keep up to date with this site too. There seems to be some very good tyers here and willing to advise and offer their experience.

I check this site every day, maybe a few times during the day to keep up to date. I am defintely looking into classes and want to learn as much as I can. It does seem like there is plenty of great advice on here and my fishing has improved from reading then going out and practicing. So I am hoping that my tying will improve as well!!

medic ,
pm'd you check yer in box

Back