Updating the warm-water box...

elonDO

elonDO

Been busy updating the Warm-Water box over the past several days. I've had a lull in fly-tying for a while, so it feels good to be back at the vise. Now I just need to get these on the water & catch me some smallies! Enjoy!

Picture of the box as it is filling up.
DSCN0458_zpsb4af224e.jpg

Closer view of streamer side
DSCN0462_zpsbd9f1302.jpg

Closer view of Clouser crayfish & some poppers
DSCN0460_zps775104d5.jpg

Attempts at being artistic using Clouser's Flies as my backdrop.
DSCN0443_zpsf945d306.jpg

DSCN0441_zps3ff1ecad.jpg

DSCN0444_zps30317008.jpg

Popper on the vise. Got to try out my new Clear Cure Goo kit & this stuff is great to work with! Used it to coat my poppers.
DSCN0468_zps4f27722e.jpg

Streamer close-ups of my Polar Magic
DSCN0476_zps9db57c78.jpg

DSCN0477_zps11f7c8b2.jpg

Enjoy!

Nice work! Which CCG did you use on your poppers?

I tried the Thin first, but was making a heck of a mess. I ended up using the Thick which is a little easier to work with when coating the entire head. I was looking on their website & may try picking up one of the brushable versions - they recommend the Hydro for poppers, but I may also try the Brushable. I probably just use what I have in the kit before I buy any others though.

No buggers ?

No buggers in this box. I have a bugger variation with a rabbit or pine squirrel strip tail that I use in another box. I have some other buggers, but don't really fish them much, so I don't find myself tying them much. Maybe I'll have to tie up a few.

Try adding Stealth Bombers, they seem to work when nothing else does.

Two thumbs up.

Don't forget some buggy nymphs with rubber legs.

Great flies! What did you paint the poppers with before you put on the CCG? I've been trying to make good poppers and they keep comming out crappy, the paint does not coat well and you can see white through it.

I actually cheated with that part. They are already green as part of an EZ popper kit I bought. Just comes with the popper hooks & popper head. I used a black & red Sharpie to get the colors I wanted before using the Clear Cure Goo.

afishinado wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
No buggers ?

Agree with Fred. Buggers are the first (and often the last/only) fly I tie on when fishing for WWFs.

+1

You just can't go wrong fishing a bugger when it comes to warmwater fly fishing!

LouM - thanks for the suggestion on the Stealth Bombers. I hadn't heard of them before. After researching on the web I was intrigued, now I've got a handful of those in the box in chartreuse and yellow. They remind me somewhat of the Clouser Floating Minnow that I use often, but the bomber seems like it may have a little more action & make a little more commotion on the water.

Some buggers may have to be next on the vise.

Don't be afraid to go big with them either (2, 4, etc.). WW fish love nothing better than a big meal!

elonDO: I've caught lmb up to 5 pounds on them,sunfish lovem too,they;ll even hit the 2s and 4s, I tie them in 8s and 10s, for sunnies.

elonDO,

Nice job! You've got some really nice looking ties there. I would also like to thank LouM for the heads up on the Stealth Bomber pattern. I had never heard of that pattern before either. I cranked out a couple this afternoon and they are sort of fun to tie. I was out WW fishing this evening just before dark and was bustin' them underneath on a Murray's Hellgramite pattern. The water was a bit high and still really off color from the recent rain events. I really wanted to try the Stealth Bomber but there was no surface activity at all. I can't wait to fish 'em some evening when the bass are working the top!

Attachments

• Stealth Bomber.jpg
    Stealth Bomber.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 6
buggers in different sizes and colors is about all you need. throw in some clouser deep minnows and popper or two and you're set.

i like gartside gurglers for the top and briminators for the drop.

i also tye a simple red body & white wing feather streamer for smallies

oh yeah,and cats whiskers in gray and/or olive!

Back