Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Tying workstation
Guest_
The Kona types of coffees are a nice, "all day, drinking bean", if roasted properly, but I don't care for a coffee that carries only high notes, throughout drinking it and much prefer one that maybe starts with high notes, then levels out to low notes and a smoky flavor, clear to the end of the cup.
Your use of a gold filter, is a wise one, IF it's a "cone style". The "basket style" gold filters, have a habit of collecting too many oils across their plastic bottom surface, thus not getting fully into the pot when brewed and instead, soak back up into the wet grounds.
If you're stuck on the Kona beans, Medic, and if you haven't yet, get your paws on a pound of "Jamaica Blue Mountain", if you can find it freshly roasted. ("freshly roasted', meaning; "roasted within 48 hours of when it's ordered", which many, better coffee roasters do when their beans are ordered on line).
The last I ordered, it was $38.75 @ pound, plus freight, from a site called; "Sweet Maria's". Obviously, despite great coffee being a true obsession of mine, I still don't often order any coffees that cost me the same as a decent fly line! But, for that "once in a while, special occasion/special person, cup" it's well worth the outlay.(and, always prepared in a French Press, only).
Properly brewed, JBM will take you through the entire range, from low to high notes and after starting out, sort of floral... will end with a heady smoky flavor!
Of course, like with ANY coffee; bean or pre-ground, NEVER put the remainder in your freezer, but especially this Blue Mountain!
Your "dinner for tonight" sounded so good, that it made me raid my freezer and take out my last packages of strap back, hog eyes soup and pre-pattied raccoon burger! Man, we're BOTH, going to eat like kings, tonight!

Posted on: 2007/10/25 16:38

Guest_
Okie-Smokie, Plasti-Cat and B.B.!
As promised; "since you, two, were kind enough to share your "tying areas" with the rest of the known universe-I'd make the effort also".
So, here it is, for all it's not worth.
The lazysusan tool caddy, Bob, I admit that I made an exact copy of an Oasis brand one, that another club member has.
He let me take measurements and dimensions of his, so I could copy it and it only cost me a dozen #20 Tricos, for his generosity! It's made of red and golden oak. Of course, I made a "few" modifications, over the Oasis, to fit my own tying needs and wants.
Someday, (and I pray before too much longer)...... my lovely bride will even forgive me for taking the ballbearing assembly out of her Mother's dining table lazysusan!? (that I guess was a "wedding gift" or some such.The way she was yelling at me about taking it, at the time, I didn't get the whole story all that clear).
Anyway, you had better appreciate my efforts, considering it took me all afternoon to clean the entire area up,so I could get clear pictures!

Attach file:

jpg  TYING MESS-A.JPG (32.88 KB)
768_4721313625938.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  TYING MESS-B.JPG (32.91 KB)
768_472131465323e.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  TYING MESS-C.JPG (36.85 KB)
768_47213154c232e.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2007/10/25 20:15

From North Catty
HOLY HELL!!!!

FB,

You have a TON of materials. Thats a sweet area you have there. Everything right there and lots of storage. I will fully admit that I am just a little jealous!!!

as far as the coffee discussion goes, after reading FB's post I started to think that I may have been neglecting myself all these years with just drinking general store stock. I may have to get out there and try some of the more "exotic" coffees.

The talk of the food has me starving...I think I shall eat now!!

FB,

Once again a very complete and stocked tying area.

Thanks for the pics

Bob

Posted on: 2007/10/25 20:31

Guest_
Ya' know, Plasti-cat.....
"IF".. ya' happened to "know the right people", and you really wanted to de-Folger's yourself and start drinking something made from REAL coffee beans, (instead of floor sweepings and chicory)..... I bet, with a mailing address a guy could get a FREE sampling of some nicely home roasted beans sent to his door!?!
Of course, you couldn't dare tell, someone like B.B. because then HE'D want some too, no doubt and it'd be SO embarrassing to give a lowly "Commoner's gift", like this, to one of his; "high quality tastes and epicurean expertise"!
Anyhoo, thanks for the comments on "The Hole" as my bride calls my surgically clean and sterile tying area. I didn't want to hog the thread with too many photos,so I didn't post ones of the THE OTHER SIDE, but there IS more still, in this room. (God, no wonder I'm so poor).

Posted on: 2007/10/25 20:57

From Pottstown, PA
Very nice area there FB. ANy chance I get at trying anything in regards to food and drink I take advantage of. You never know, there may be a return of my special marinade too. It's like nothing on the market and a true secret.
I was luck enough to "find" a bottle of that Balvenie Double Wood 12 year old in my travels today and can now give you my personnal opinion on it. Nice overall fruity fragrance, not too pungent, not too heavy on the smokiness, very nice well rounded smoothness, not velvety, not sharp. Rich fruity honey like sweetness with some cinnamon, and vannila followed by a sherry layer and a long warm finnish. No bite, no twang, very nice drink straight and even nicer with one ice cube. Save the water for washing the glass because it will probably destroy the balance. Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth, but I'll buy more to add to the existing range of single malts already here. It's a good example of some of the wonderful single malts on the market and well worth the $42.00.
Oh yes, the trout where farm raised and wrapped in bacon with lemons and butter stuffing grilled till the skin crackled. The venison scallopini was dredged in flour seasoned with parsley, sage, thyme, and tarragon, sauted in butter and olive oil with schallots, red peppers and garlic. The pan was then deglazed with sherry and thickened to make a sauce to go over the linguini. I skipped the mouse due to a friend needing my asistance. Maybe next time. Oh, seems there will be more butchering going on Sunday so let's see if I can score a tenderloin and make medallions out of that. Cheers everyone.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 23:09

From North Catty
FB,

I think I will have to take you up on that, if it was an offer (hoping it was)

Medi,

I made it to the store today after work and picked up a bottle. I plan to test the "waters" this evening. I unfortunately don't have a nice cigar to go with it...but I will make do.

Bob

Posted on: 2007/10/26 18:13

From Greensburg, PA
Ok, so when are all you guys with the really good booze gonna finally attend a Jam?

Posted on: 2007/10/26 19:06

Guest_
'WHAT"... good booze? Who? What Jam? I don't eat jam with my good booze! 'Course, then again, I don't have any "good" booze, like B.B. and Plasticat! Who has good booze? What, jam, where?
Share, what? Isn't this Kansas?

Posted on: 2007/10/26 19:23

From North Catty
hahahaha....I'll attend a jam.

Now that I actually have a slight clue as to what fly fishing might be, I will gladly come and share my booze.

Bob

Posted on: 2007/10/26 19:36

Guest_
Bob, maybe if you meet up with Tom to eat this jam, wherever/whatever, that's all about, you can save on not having to buy any gas for the trip by asking B.B. if you and he can go there together and ride one of his Yaks that he's always talking about fishing from!?!
Frankly, to me anyway, fishing from a Yak, or ANY large, fur bearing, half wild animal, doesn't sound like much fun, (especially the smell, when they get wet in the river/lake/stream-depending), but what the heck, just remember he said he'd share his cigars with you.
As for the "beans", sure I'll send you some, but rumor has it............ "it's easier to mail something, IF one has an ADDRESS to send things to"!? (Just a rumor, mind you, but it sounds pretty logical nonetheless!?)
Also, need to know, if you need them pre-ground or does your resident lovely, trust you with sharp objects like grinder blades!?

Posted on: 2007/10/26 20:23

From Pottstown, PA
When is the next Jam so I can make plans to attend?

Posted on: 2007/10/26 21:38

From Bozeman
Usually early june. It's a great time.

Posted on: 2007/10/27 1:31

From Pottstown, PA
Well, I guess I'll have to make my plans to attend with the proper liquid refreshments for a tasting session.

Posted on: 2007/10/27 12:22

Guest_
Medic:
It might be a tad far, for me to attend that hoedown, but to help you out, with your libations and tasting party I could ship some of my Crazy Susy to you........ then you could share it with the others?!
I'm not even that greedy and it's okay with me if you lay claim to it when you serve it. (I'm generous, that way, ya' know).
Since the meet-up isn't until June, I'll pf course wait until the last week of May to put up a batch, so it'll properly age to perfection by the time I ship it and you'll be serving it.
I've got a few "aging barrels" left, thankfully. Not, really, "barrels", per se' more like plywood boxes, lined with pine tar and lead sheeting, to keep Susy from soaking through during transit.
I can guarantee that you'll be "One sought after gent', once word gets out; you're being so generous and kind, not to mention "One class act" among fellow Long rod slingers, for your gift of free libations!! I envy you, already, the new status you'll enjoy.
Make a note, NOW, so you'll well remember my instructions when the batch of C.S. arrives.... "DO NOT ALLOW any smokers, within 50 yards of wherever you'll be tapping into my custom made aging boxes, nor anyone even, with a severe case of stomach upset".
I use ONLY the finest of the shop rags I have in my garage, to seal up the boxes, before shipping, but still........... ya' never know, "accidents happen".
Bot, I have to repeat, my earlier comment........... "I REALLY envy you, for the popularity and fame you're going to enjoy at that Jam!
(Note: I also roasted the beans today, for shipping to you and Plasticat, will put into the mail on Monday. I think I have both your addresses already!?)

Posted on: 2007/10/27 22:36

From North Catty
A large group of sloppy drunk "long rodders" in the woods in June....
sounds like a blast to me, but if the CS makes an appearance I can't see how much fishing will get done! At least the fish will be very happy about the new guest sharing so kindly!

Bob

Posted on: 2007/10/28 8:17

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
111 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com