Tying Thread

I

InTheMend

So whenever I talk to someone else about fly tying, they always have a preference in tying thread. The most popular brands seem to be UNI and UTC but that's just how I see it. Just wondering what your preferences are. For me I think each thread lends its self to different situations. But I generally use UTC because it flatness well or 6/0 olive Danville. The Olive Danville just seems to go with anything. Matt Grobert showed me that.

P.S. - I don't know if someone else has already made a post about this, if they have just let me know. Thanks.

Here is a video different threads being tested.. This is a good channel and in my opinion, is under-subcribed so check their other videos out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvLgE20W-Rc

For general tying I use orvis/uni thread cause that's what steve carries, For anything I need to use a split thread for I love ultra thread 70, and for really small stuff where thread build up is important I like Gudebrod 10/0

Ask 10 tyers get 12 answers.
Lately I have been using Uni 8/0 for everything. That was not always true, and probably will change again. For me personally, anything less than 8/0 encourages sloppy tying, so I avoid the thin stuff to hopefully avoid developing bad habits. I was using 14/0 for dry flys, but found that 8/0 makes posting wings a lot easier and stuck with it from there.
Thread is cheap so try them all and develop you own preference/prejudice.
Mike.

I like some of the Veevus threads... they have a very small diameter compated to other threads but are very strong.

I prefer Benecchi 12/0 thread for dry flies and smaller flies. Very strong, less bulk.

I am with outsider for dry flies and smaller flies. I also prefer Danville. Have heard bad things about Veevus. Breaks easy I am told. Everybody has their favorites.

I have not had any issues with Veevus. I have tied several dozen flies with it and it has been a solid thread. Is it the holy grail of tying thread? No, but it does have a thin diameter and is strong enough. I have only used the 14/0 though.

I try to use UTC 70 for most of my trout flies. I like their colors and the feel of the thread when tying.

My only issue with UTC is sometimes you get a spool that knots up or tangles.

Danville 6/0 is also good stuff...actually good enough to use exclusively...but I don't

I have used Uni 8/0 and still do for some patterns. I feel it is too corded.

Basically as has been said, thread is cheap. Find the one or ones you like and get busy.

I used Uni 8/0 or 6/0 for many years, and still do for larger patterns. However, for size 18 and below I really like the Veevus thread. Haven't had any break issues.

Use the larger Danville threads for saltwater and streamers.

I also agree thread is cheap so experiment. Back when I was poorer I just used black and grey or tan. Black for dark flies and grey or tan for light ones. Then got white for underbodies, red for midge larvae, yellow for sulphurs and soon I had dozens of spools. Not sure I didn't catch the same amount of fish when I just had black and gray.

I have a stash of Gudebrod thread in 3/0, 6/0 and 8/0 in quite a few different colors. It's my favorite thread. I was sorry to see them quit making it but I have enough to last a while. I have used Uni, Danville and UTC and they all seem to work fine. IMO Uni is the closest to Gudebrod in how it handles and the way it looks. I will more than likely switch to UNI when the time comes.

i collect vintage silk thread and use that a lot.

i also use pearsall's for a good deal of tying and soft hackles .

after that,with regular thread,i use gudebrod,uni,danvile,griffin etc. interchangeably .

i am trying to get my hands on a half dozen or so spools of danville and uni white thread,prewaxed with the dette flies wax machine.that will be super bad!

I learned with silk, and still have a bunch around. Silk holds dubbing really well, better than Uni and far better than other synthetics. I like the colors of the Pearsalls and lacquer and varnish turns the windings nice and translucent. The abdomens of female Tricos when made of silk and then lacquered please me and the trouts.

I like the flatness of some of the threads for specialized patterns, and the split-thread technique produces interesting possibilities that I need to explore more.

Buttonhole twists are great for ribbing March Browns and some other flies where I want segmentation.

Since I amassed several lifetimes' worth of the Gudebrod, I tend to gravitate to it. There are some unique colors there which I treasure.

I remember when Danvilles came out, and that was superior to the predecessors in controlling the right amount of stretch and in not relaxing too much when on the fly, which used to lead to all sorts of orientation problems and durability.

I need to tap into the new Veevus stuff. Maybe, like Bennicchi and some other European threads, there are some neat colors there.

tl
les

I use Uni for the majority of my tying, but use Danville from time to time because it splits easily.

If spools are not labeled, how can u tell if a thread is silk or cotton? Is there a test?

Back