Tying the Blood dot.

zerodrag

zerodrag

Lately I have received a decent amount of questions regarding this egg pattern from a a few folks that read my blog and the forums I post on.This fly was designed by a fellow named Jeff Blood and he is the mastermind behind the River roe products company. The blood dot is one of the most effective egg patterns I have ever used. It seems to out fish a normal GLO-BUG tied in the same color every time. Not to mention it's super simple to tie.So here is my first attempt at doing a fly tying tutorial.

MATERIALS NEEDED:

HOOK: TIEMCO 2457
THREAD: 210 DENIER HOT ORANGE OR RED
EGG BODY: EGG COLORED GLO-BUG YARN
YOLK: STEELHEAD ORANGE

I'm little computer challenged and I'm not quite sure how I can place text above each picture on this forum but if you go to my blog you can view the instructions a little better over there. www.wildfly365.blogspot.com and if anybody knows how to place text above the pictures please enlighten me. Thanks

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 4
Jeff was here 2 years ago and he tied the orange in as a loop also, did you change it for ease of tying or for another reason ??

Sandfly,

No, this is how I saw it tied by Jeff on a tying video I found online.
I believe it's on the riseform website.

Nice tutorial. The only egg pattern you need. A real Killer. I loop the orange as well. When your done with this fly, Its important to to push the material on both ends together with your fingers to give egg a more round appearance.

Twofly,

Thanks! I forgot to add the crunch the egg together part in the tutorial.

One thing I forgot to add in the tutorial is you do NOT use a whole piece of egg yarn.

Simply split the stand in half then half it again. About a 1/4 of the strand is good for eggs tied on 16-18 hooks. These are the sizes I use for trout.

Been fly fishing and tying fly for over twenty years now and I am able to learn something new on this site almost every day. I am especially enjoying the tutorials being put up recently in the fly tying thread, thanks guys appreciate it.
Buffalo

So its basically a sucker spawn tied with egg yarn with one different colored loop? nice.

There was an online article on the Flyfisherman magazine website a while back on steelhead flies, and Ted Fauceglia tied his version of Jeff Blood's blood dot.

It was similar to zero's version, but only had one loop on either side. The key to the pattern was pushing the two loops together on the hook shank to "surround" the yolk post.

It's a great egg pattern - easy to tie in tiny sizes, and doesn't interfere with the hook gap.

I have seen jeff tie this fly and he ties his very sparse to intimate the translucency of the natural egg

Fredrick,

Would you say Jeff uses less than a 1/4 stand of egg yarn? Or does he use more?? I tie mine with a 1/4 of the yarn.

This how mine look when wet.

Attachments

• blood dot trans.jpg
    blood dot trans.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 6
Not sure... Tye one with less than a .25 and stick it in a glass of water see if it looks translucent than take it to the stream and give it a try

zerodrag wrote:
I'm little computer challenged and I'm not quite sure how I can place text above each picture on this forum but if you go to my blog you can view the instructions a little better over there. www.wildfly365.blogspot.com and if anybody knows how to place text above the pictures please enlighten me. Thanks

Easy. Don't attach the photos, they all goto the bottom. Use the inline photos by linking to the URL with the little icon of the face up there in the menu, not the one that says manager, but the other one. Use the photo URL from the one you already bloggerated.

So, you type some text like this. After this text, I'll hit the image link button up there...
Sasha%20Grey-SGG-072068.jpg

Now an awesome picture of a superrad chick shows up. So I can type some more stuff abotu the next picture, and I copy the URL for the photo from picasa or your blog or whatever.

And I hit the image button and...
sasha_grey_003.jpg

Moar hot chick.

FInally, we'll do it again because Sasha should come in a trilogy of awesome and we'll end with this example:
Sasha_Grey+Oct_19_2010.jpg

...or...

Code:
So, you type some text like this. After this text, I'll hit the image link button up there...
[img width=100]http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2007/06/27/previews/Sasha%20Grey-SGG-072068.jpg[/img]

Now an awesome picture of a superrad chick shows up. So I can type some more stuff abotu the next picture, 
and I copy the URL for the photo from picasa or your blog or whatever.

And I hit the image button and...
[img width=100]http://mastcelebs.net/upload/sasha_grey_003.jpg[/img]

Moar hot chick. 

FInally, we'll do it again because Sasha should come in a trilogy of awesome and we'll end with this example:
[img width=100]http://www.dailymakeover.com/appImages/galleryImages/women_celebrity_hairstyles/Sasha_Grey+Oct_19_2010.jpg[/img]

what the post looks like before you submit it.

...And this is what it looks like after a mod has to come in and unblow the margins.

Look, man, I do raw awesome, you guys gotta come in here and refine it to bite sized awesome.

Whole lotta awesome, high five!

Maurice wrote:
...And this is what it looks like after a mod has to come in and unblow the margins.

We arbitrarily capitalize shorthand around here. It's a MOD. Get it straight.

-JAY

Some time in the mid-nineties, I ran into Mr Blood while fishing a local trout stream. At the time, he explained the yarn thickness as 1/6 strand for #16 scud hook, 1/4 for #14 ,1/3 for #12.
He also found it important to mention that the yarn was tied in semi circling the top half of hook and not tightly pinched on top.

Back