Tying materials

P

psummrnl

Looking for an affordable sources of high quality fly tying materials. Where are you guys finding the best deals?

support your local fly shop if you can. they have or can get what you want. if not try the following

cabelas

bass pro shops

jstockard

hook & hackle

bears den

feather craft

bear lodge angler

allen hooks & beads

bob marriotts

mike hogue etyer

dettes fly shop

performance flies

the fly shop

orvis

stone ridge outfitters

fly tyers dungeon

etc etc etc i know theres more out there

i really dont know if one is better than the other. they all carry the same tying materials and the prices should be the same no matter who you buy from. there may be be some online specials everey now and then.

get on their mailing list to learn about their specials

I like j Stockard for most things. Allen fly fishing for hooks and beads.

if you have a small business license you can get set up with Hare Line for whole sale. Save a TON of money that way.

I agree with all of the above, but don't be afraid to buy off of Ebay. I find great deals on hooks, and just about everything else. Shipping is usually free and you avoid sales tax.

It would help to know what area you're in. How far are you willing to drive to get to a descent fly shop so you can eyeball materials?

I like Blue Quill Angler. They have free shipping for orders over $5 good prices and I get my packages from them in a few days (from Colorado).

But I also agree with supporting your local fly shop. I buy from them when I am there. But in this cold, it's a lot easier to do a few clicks then walk out to the mailbox in a few days.

A second on Blue Quill Angler,

Jstockard is also good (sometimes slow on shipping)

Flyfishers Paradise is good and very quick on shipping

Charlies Flybox is good but a little more expensive

Great suggestions given already, for sure. The nice thing about tying for over 20 years is the accumulation of materials, which doesn't happen overnight.

The best suggestion that I can give you is to purchase those needed materials, and then keep a running list of those you want. When there is a fly tying or fishing show that you can attend, bring the list and search for any deals.

Good luck in building your collection!

TC

i like the sporting gentleman in media.a wonderful fly shop.

i also have bought tons of materials from feather craft.

www.detteflies.com is a great shop

jim slattery is good too.

those are my favorite sources as well as ebay and knowing hunters is always good.

I placed an order for some ribbing wire. I placed the order on Friday. I got the material in my mailbox on Monday! I was shocked! From Colorado to just west of Baltimore Md and no shipping charges!

Orvis has 20% off on tying materials this month.

Back