Trico size

marcq

marcq

What size hooks do you guys tie you trico's? Was at at the LL today and they were sipping righ against the bank. Missed 3 or 4 fish but most of the time they just didn't even look twice at my size 20's. also what is the best color? For my female I'm using a white kinda cream color.

Thanks marc

Marc, i was there today and tried some 20s as well and didnt get any looks. Most people will say 24. I wanted to give the fish something juicier to look at with the 20s but I think this far into the trico season, and also the amount of flies the fish see at the LL, they knew it was a setup.

Lawyer style (aka Al's Trico) 22-24 in black (male) and cream(female). I REALLY can't tie smaller than that, not like Foxgap and his ridiculous tiny black dots...). They also seem to do ok with a larger hackle than the hook size suggests. (i.e. Sz 20 hackle on a 22 hook)

My current hook of choice is a Tiemco 2488 in sz 22. That hook is short shank, with a nice wide hook gap. Using a sz 22 gives you the shank length of a sz 24 dry fly hook. If you're using Tiemco 101's or 100's, use a sz 26 hook. Those hooks are slightly longer in shank length, so by using a sz 26, you get the shank length of a sz 24.

The real bugs are 4.5mm in body length (a true sz 24). I didn't make this up - this figure comes from entomologists that have measured the trikes.

If the pattern calls for tails and spent wings, shoot for 1 cm in wingspan, and 1 cm in tail length. Again, this is what the bug experts said.

As far as the color of the abdomen, keep this in mind. The first spinners to hit the water are females, followed by males and females, and finally all males.

I'd suggest tying only females, and carrying a black sharpie marker. To make a female into a male, just touch the sharpie to the thread abdomen of a female fly, and you have an instant male trico.

A really close match in color for the female abdomen is Griffith's Sheer 14/0 thread in primose color.

Ed, you are so full of useful information. LOL. I like the Orvis "Big Eye" size 24's for my Trico's. They are ALOT easier to thread the tippet thru the eye and they seem to work OK.

by WildTigerTrout on 2013/8/12 7:12:07 Ed, you are so full of useful information. LOL. I like the Orvis "Big Eye" size 24's for my Trico's. They are ALOT easier to thread the tippet thru the eye and they seem to work OK.

Just make sure you tie up some 26's as well. ;-)

delta_dog wrote:
by WildTigerTrout on 2013/8/12 7:12:07 Ed, you are so full of useful information. LOL. I like the Orvis "Big Eye" size 24's for my Trico's. They are ALOT easier to thread the tippet thru the eye and they seem to work OK.

Just make sure you tie up some 26's as well. ;-)
You are right, if I want to catch any trout from the LL I better tie some 26's.

Ed is right on with his info. Tie your Trico's is size 24 and 26. If you can find Varvius hook, use them they are really sharp.
If fish are still refusing you fly they are more than likely taking midges. then you will have to tie these. Size 28,30,32. :)

Attachments

• 20130812_125129_resized.jpg
    20130812_125129_resized.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 3
32's all you need !!!

Heritage-Angler wrote:
My current hook of choice is a Tiemco 2488 in sz 22. That hook is short shank, with a nice wide hook gap. Using a sz 22 gives you the shank length of a sz 24 dry fly hook. If you're using Tiemco 101's or 100's, use a sz 26 hook. Those hooks are slightly longer in shank length, so by using a sz 26, you get the shank length of a sz 24.

The real bugs are 4.5mm in body length (a true sz 24). I didn't make this up - this figure comes from entomologists that have measured the trikes.

If the pattern calls for tails and spent wings, shoot for 1 cm in wingspan, and 1 cm in tail length. Again, this is what the bug experts said.

As far as the color of the abdomen, keep this in mind. The first spinners to hit the water are females, followed by males and females, and finally all males.

I'd suggest tying only females, and carrying a black sharpie marker. To make a female into a male, just touch the sharpie to the thread abdomen of a female fly, and you have an instant male trico.

A really close match in color for the female abdomen is Griffith's Sheer 14/0 thread in primose color.

Agree on 2488 size 22.

I ditched tails after consulting with Henry Ramsey. On technical waters they add more micro drag than they provide benefit imo. Less to reject.

Yes, curved hook, no tails. Works great.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Ed, you are so full of useful information. LOL. I like the Orvis "Big Eye" size 24's for my Trico's. They are ALOT easier to thread the tippet thru the eye and they seem to work OK.

The more you hang out with Ed, the more you realize he's got quite a bit of non-useful information as well. ;-)

ryguyfi wrote:
The more you hang out with Ed, the more you realize he's got quite a bit of non-useful information as well. ;-)

Like "Let's cross the creek here - it didn't rain all that much."

And " We'll have to walk around to the next bridge - it's not that far." :lol:

I did meet Henry at the fly tying show in oaks. Picked up his book. It's a awesome book for tying. That being said I don't think I have mastered the art of tying like him.

yep the 2488 s or a size 26 . if you really want to get technical, take a few specimen's home , lay them out on construction paper , mark the width and length, you effectively have a template for your tails and wings. Henry would approve

ryguyfi wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:

I find that hard to believe. :-o I have to stick up for Ed on this one. He has NEVER gave me any non-useful info. :lol:

Late June, Early July you can get away with 20-22. Now it's 24-26, even 28 but I hate tying those on.

jdaddy wrote:
Heritage-Angler wrote:

Agree on 2488 size 22.

I ditched tails after consulting with Henry Ramsey. On technical waters they add more micro drag than they provide benefit imo. Less to reject.

So just some dub, palmer a little hackle, and done?

Back