time for a new vise

K

kbobb

Looking for an upgrade to my old Thompson A. Already have a Renzetti travler so the rotary aspect is covered but I really like tying on the A vise esspecially access to the hool -like to rest my hand on th vise behind the hook. Was looking at the dynaking kingfisher, HMH SX and anvil apex - these fit the budget Unfortunately haven't found these in any shops so wondered what your experiences are with these?
Thanks

Wait......you tie?

SBecker wrote:
Wait......you tie?

kbobb, not to be confused with k-bob.

kbobb - those vises you listed are all pretty short chassis vises. Something like a Regal Medallion has a much longer chassis. They're $165 in the clamp model.

If money were no object, the HMH Standard has lots of room, but they're @ $300.

My vote is the Regal. I have tied thousands of flies in all sizes on my original. Simple to place the hook, and you have access to the entire fly. I bought a Regal midge head cheap on e-bay several years ago. I only use it for flies smaller than #20.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
SBecker wrote:
Wait......you tie?

kbobb, not to be confused with k-bob

Ahhh I see. Confused me, which is not hard. Reminds me of the times we used to steal each others avatars and mess everybody up.

I have a regal and I love it I bought it at the end of last year and have already put about 600 flies through it.

I have a Dyna king kingfisher, a regal medallion and I just ordered a hmh spartan with the micro jaw for 18 and below. I am not crazy about AA vises but I do like simple pedestal vises. I would not buy the HMH if the stainless steel regal jaws didn't costs almost the same price as the whole vise.

Have a renzetti traveler and I thought it was money until... I tied on a regal vice. I will be purchasing one when funds are available.

Thanks - guess I'm gonna have to look at a regal. The INEX model doesn't rotate but other than that looks the same as the others - since I already have a rotating vise this doesn't seem like a big deal - also my old thompson didn't rotate and Ihad no problems there.

Any thoughts on the INEX?

Sorry about the confusion with the other k-bob - guess I might have to change my name someday.

I would spend the extra and skip the inex. The ability to rotate the fly to see all angles is worth it on the Medallion. I would like the stainless steel jaws, but they are expensive.

I surprised nobody mentioned a peak. With a regal ya gotta buy the whole head. The peak salt & midge jaws are 30. I tye on one and can't find 1 flaw on them. Plus there mad in the USA.

I agree with the Peak suggestion. I too can't find one bad thing to say about it. I decked mine out with a lot of the upgrades and don't see myself using anything else for a long time. Just a great USA made product.

Anvil Apex was the worst vise I've ever owned. Chipped a jaw in a few weeks, and it was on a size 14 hook.

I have a apex anvil and never had a bit of trouble, dub. I hope you sent it back. I have tied with many different vises, cheap and expensive, not that it means anything but I like the anvil apex the best regardless of it's price. K, I would seriously consider it even if I had the money for any vise out there.

I did return it.....and got a Traveler. Much happier.

I read a lot of positive reviews about the Anvil Apex. If I was in the market for a vise less than $100, I'd take a look at it.

I've been tying on an Apex for a few years and it seems bulletproof. Very simple and dependable design. I've tied flies down to size 32 with it.

There are plenty of different vises out there and I have tied on cheap ones and own a few expensive ones but my apex I like better then all the others. From small hooks to big hooks it is solid everytime. And I tie a lot of flies, a lot!

Everyone keeps saying the Anvil is made in the US. I believe Regal and HMH are both made in Mass.

FishingCreekEmerger wrote:
Everyone keeps saying the Anvil is made in the US. I believe Regal and HMH are both made in Mass.

Who is "everyone"? Didn't see it mentioned on this thread.

Back