Thin skin alternatives

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

I'm thinking I need to tie up some scuds and I don't have any of that skin material. Rather than order it or run to the fly shop I'd like to be creative and use some household materials. Has anyone had experience tying scuds, or any other fly that requires thin skin material, with an alternative material? I searched the topic and read that people have used sandwich bags, cassette tape, latex gloves, balloons, and...condoms. I'm considering using the the last one just for some comedic value! Any experiences and suggestions would be appreciated.

Sandwich bags and cassette tapes are my "substitutes". In fact, I never used actual "thin skin".

Old zip lock bags or plastic bags, plastic packaging that comes with fly tying material (the baggies the stuff comes in), people use grocery/walmart bags. Use anything you want. Some things are less durable than others though, keep that in mind.

I tried ziploc bags once, and they seemed to work Ok. Definitely prefer scudback - the colors are nice and it stretches.

I've been meaning to add some latex condoms to my fly tying materials. Lol. I saw this really realistic worm pattern that called for pink latex in the book Dynamic Nymphing... Just can't bring myself to shop around for them!

How about mylar ballons, potatoe chip bags, or rubber bands. There is usually some cool stuff in the craft stores as well....jelly rope or something similar.

jeremymcon wrote:
I tried ziploc bags once, and they seemed to work Ok. Definitely prefer scudback - the colors are nice and it stretches.

I've been meaning to add some latex condoms to my fly tying materials. Lol. I saw this really realistic worm pattern that called for pink latex in the book Dynamic Nymphing... Just can't bring myself to shop around for them!

You can order Crown condoms on Amazon, 25 for like 6 bucks. Wife got a laugh out of them when they came from a distributer called Chubby D---- Emporium. That and I ordered condoms.

They sell those Crown condoms at Condoms Galore on Fullerton Avenue. What's funny is that they even know that fishermen use them to tie flies!

It was interesting to get suggestions from the clerk as to what colors and brands were popular for fly tying. :)

craft store: get the shreaded mylar used in gift bags or Easter grass.
Nothing works better than plastic bags though and it's easier to cut to just the right size.
The easter glass/mylar strips can be just too large (can't cut a slither off) or just too small

There is literally clear thin skin that is perfectly cut that comes off women's clothing. My wife always saves them. I mean its literally what they sell at ff store.

You're then supposed to go into detail as to what part of the mystery garment these come off of. Remember, its a hobby dominated by old men who do their best to stay out of the ladybits section of the local Macy's.

IIRC, they're the bits they use to hold their shirts on hangers.

way to leave us hanging IdRatherBePhishing!

I bought a cheap pack of utility knifes from the dollar store a while back...the plastic packaging was very stretchy and durable and I've been using it on flies ever since...

also garden raffia,or swiss straw.i also get artificial raffia at the asian market.

the colors are varied

If you're using ziplock bags, I think it makes a big difference to use freezer bags instead of the small sandwich bags for easier tying and durability.

I honestly hv no clue what they come on but I think Gfen might be right. Ill ask her Tom.

IdratherbePhishing wrote:
I honestly hv no clue what they come on but I think Gfen might be right. Ill ask her Tom.

Her name is Tom? Hmmm. :-D

Gfen is right. Checked wifes closet and they come on more formal blouses.

ASBKC_Group is a vendor on Amazon and I got 144 Crown Condoms for $11 back in 2011. That's a lot of jimmies. I did make full disclosure to wife BEFORE I ordered them. My understanding is they are pretty awesome for their intended purpose.

jdaddy wrote:

I did make full disclosure to wife BEFORE I ordered them.

This was a wise decision for anyone. ( married that is ) ;-)

Havn't seen one since the seventies, maybe should have with the 5 ex wives and 17 kids..would have been cheaper..

Back