The other end.

osprey

osprey

What would be you folks favorite LOW water fly? I asked so i'll tell mine first , would be either a foam ant 20-26 size or a griffiths gnat in the same sizes and i might add a downwing to either.

Zebra midge, 18 usually. Color is whatever I grab first.

JH

Foam beetle or ant 18ish with a BH zebra 20/22 or an Al's rat 22-26.

Second the rat in size 20-22(anything smaller is just crazy to tie on, hold, tie, you name it). Depending on how low, a sz 18 frenchie can be dynamite. Sooo, al's rat for when its a trickle in september, and frenchie for when its low, but not august low.

For smallies, I always fish a sz10-12 green hopper with rubber legs. Really like low and clear smallie fishing.

Simple for me, foam beetle size 14 or 16.

Mine would be the BMG

photo-2.jpg

Howdy Fred..........that is bigger than most trout i catch when it gets low n clear , but it sure looks good.

Fred, that looks like a good brookie fly!

It can be tied in brookie sizes . The deer hair head makes it ride just under the surface .

Fred, What is a BMG?

Fred..........is that the name of the fly in the pic or is that a white marabou muddler?

It's not a muddler t all, unless someone invented it and called it that thinking that's what they tied. I looked at images of white muddlers and all kinds of patterns were listed, many of them not even white.

osprey wrote:
Fred..........is that the name of the fly in the pic or is that a white marabou muddler?

Yes that is the name of the fly in the pic . I would send you a link to the tying instructions for the fly but the site is down for some reason

Jackgartside.com

Website is back up here is the step by step for the fly
http://www.jackgartside.com/step_beastmaster_general.htm

I read alot about Jack Gartside , he was the king of the saltie fly fishers and a cab driver in NY i think , that fly with a red tail n maybe a red throat would pass for what some locals would call a white marabou muddler , seems the way you trim the head is the trick.

It's a copy of Lou Taborys snake fly.

sandfly wrote:
It's a copy of Lou Taborys snake fly.

All powerful and almighty saltwater fly guru do you have concrete evidence to support this claim if not Shame on You .

tabory had his snake fly out for years, before jack was famous. besides he stole the idea for the gurgler, and yes I knew the originator. he called it the noname fly. we used it on the delaware before gartside borrowed it..not saying gartside was a thief but some of his ideas came from other people who tied..Tabory has been around a lot longer than gartside he's been known along the coast (new england) since the 70's. gartside didn't come about till the 80's or later.

And i'm sure Lefty's Deceiver is a completely original idea . The fly is similar but not the same . The master general fly was out for a long time before he put deer hair on it and made it the BMG . You could also argue that the Dahlberg diver is a copy of the snake fly . Or the clouser is a thundercreek with hourglass eyes. Do I need to go on forever with this one .

If don't have anything nice to say then don't say it

Back