sulphur emerger

pap-paw

pap-paw

I am looking fo a good sulpher emerger pattern for use in north central pa. Does anyone have one they would be willing to share?

I found one in the Mid atlantic FF rag a decade ago that has performed well. It is basically a phesant tail nymph up to the wing case, a piece of yellow poly yarn tied in as a wing case and then some peacock herl and bring the Poly over to the eye as a small loop instead of tight to the Herl. It is finished with a few wood duck barbs as legs coming out from the sides at the eye and pointing back. There was a piece of Ostritch herl that ited in at the eye and went around the Poly to appear as a broken wing case. (I skip that part now cuz it always broke on the first fish. )

Fish it as a rising nymph or emerger in the film or below the surface. Often below a Comparadun sulfur or Sparkle dun.

A friend of mine has another killer pattern that is much easier using brown dubbing for the abdomen, and yellow for the thorax and a typical ing case of Phesant or turkey quill. He murders them on that fly.

Basically, put a little yellow at the front of a dark nymph and you are all set.

Maurice

I use a pattern I've dubbed the Snowshoe Emerger/Cripple. It's based on Quigley's Cripple. A friend visiting from California had a lot of luck with that pattern and left me one as an example. I changed it up a bit.

Hook: TMC 2488(or similar hook)size 12-20.
Thread: Black, or to match the pattern.
Tail: Rat Tail(you see it in fly shops as Frizz Fiber)
I use white and color it to match the pattern
Body: Pheasant Tail wrapped with thin copper wire.
Thorax: Yellow CDC feather
Wing: Snowshoe Rabbit
Hackle: Grizzly to match the pattern.

Tying Instructions

1. Tie in the tail/trailing shuck.
2. Tie in Pheasant tail, and thin copper wire. At this point you're
going to tie the body of a PT Nymph. I wrap PT forward and
counterwrap the wire. I would say you want the body to stop
about 1/3 the shank length behind the eye
3. Tie in a suitable bunch of Snowshoe for the wing with the
tips pointing forward. Trim the hair facing back short.
4. Tie in a yellow CDC feather by the tip
5. Tie in a grizzly hackle by the stem
6. Bring the thread forward to just behind the eye
7. Wrap the yellow CDC feather for the thorax.
I tie it down in front of the wing, and trim excess.
8. Make 3 or 4 wraps with the hackle over the thorax. Again I
tie it down in front of the wing, and trim excess
9. Build head and whip finish.

For the suplpur. I'd color the shuck/tail, tan or light brown. Body would be natural PT, Wing would be light gray. Hackle would be natural grizzly, lightly barred.
I may have a picture. If I do I'll post it

Thanks for the help guys. I will be tying some of each of these today. I will be heading north in two weeks And I will be fishing some of the fly fishing aeras. It may be a little early to try them yet but at least I will have them if I need them. I will be up there most of the time until after the end of may so I should have plenty of chances to see how they work.

Thanks Again

Here's a sulfur emerger/cripple that is a variation of the patterns you've been given above. I have had pretty good success with this............ http://shop.flyfishing.about.com/fly_archive/details/1149.htm

Here is mine. I live in Williamsport and fish the surrounding streams and do quite well with this pattern.

Attachments

• Sulphur Kern Emerger.jpg
    Sulphur Kern Emerger.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks Again guys. I have already tied some of the first two so I will tie some of these also. I just can't help myself. If this keeps up I will have to get a bigger fly box. I will be trying all of these as soon as I get a chance. I may be able to pick a favorite but if not I will continue to tie and use all of them.

Matt, I like the looks of that one...

Papaw, While they will work anytime...keep in mind that mid May thru June will be better. when the sulfurs are on the water.

Maurice,

Instead of a thread body, the body can be of dubbing (any color). I tie them in BWO, Blue Dun, Brown, Cahill, and Hendrickson. However, Sulphur is the most productive. I think it has something to do with the contrasting colors.

I actually created the same pattern for myself a year ago, except I like to use a hivis foam post. wonders never cease.

I can vouch for its success.

ps. nice job Mkern. looks better than mine!

Matt

Great looking emerger!

Since Maurice likes them also, maybe he will be nice and tie me some too!

in a recent edition of fly fishing and tying journal they had an interesting article about a caddis emerger. Pattern looks similar to that, anyone read it and have any insight towards it?

ry.

when tied in the right color, that fly will catch fish during any hatch. I tie them in all of my caddis colors as well as all mayfly patterns.

I'm also tying them in adams as well... who knows? I can't see why it wouldn't work, other than the fact that fish keyed on emergers are onto something specific... they do love the adams though.

First emerger pattern i ever tied was an attempted adams (and i do mean attempted pattern). I've got to get out. Today is BEAUTIFUL, and I'm stuck in the office making phone calls. Maybe thurs or fri I'll go catch a few before I head to work. This site is making me crazy cause I talk about fly fishing but just haven't done it in a few months now!!!!

Here are two that I use. You can not have enough variety as the hatch progresses thru the weeks if you are fishing hard fished water. Any stream with a good Sulpher hatch will get some attention.
The parachute pattern is really a Hendrickson, just substitute the orangish yellow for the thorax. On this one I used brown fur dubbing and fine gold wire ribbing for the abdomen. You can use the standard pheasant tail materials and it works just as well.
The nymph style I used the pheasant tail abdomen. Tie in a dun CDC for a little wing, before you start the thorax. Pull the butt end toward the wing, tie in your yellow thorax and pull the butt ends of the CDC over like a wing case. Tie off. Cut the CDC off long enough to splay and use for legs. Or cut off entirely and tie in a dun soft hackle.
Both were tied on a Tiemco 200R emerger hook
Good Luck :lol:
Flyman

Back