Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Sulphur Emerger

From Lewistown
At Somerset, a speaker was asked this question and he answered:
Wings are the first thing that comes into view for the fish, and could be what they key on.

I put wings on my flies for two reasons:
1. The real bugs have wings.
2. I'm not only a fly fisher, I'm a fly tyer, and I like the way the wings look.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 8:40

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

MKern wrote:
At Somerset, a speaker was asked this question and he answered:
Wings are the first thing that comes into view for the fish, and could be what they key on.

I put wings on my flies for two reasons:
1. The real bugs have wings.
2. I'm not only a fly fisher, I'm a fly tyer, and I like the way the wings look.

In addition to the good information already stated in the previous posts, I'll put in my two cents.

I have to agree. I've seen plenty of underwater photographs that clearly show the wing of the fly (natural or otherwise) as the first (above water) thing that the trout sees.

We all know that trout have serious denial abilty - they can ignore that giant metal hook and that monofilament "cable" tied to the front of the fly.

But you have to be careful - because although the fish is "ignoring" a lot sometimes they are looking for something very specific. It is this "trigger" that the trout is keyed in on to the exclusion of many other things.

So - if the wing is the "trigger" feature that the trout are keyed in on, you better have the wing. Obviously - you will catch trout on flies without wings, but maybe at certain times you'll miss out.

So the moral to the story is...if it was too easy and the same thing worked all the time it wouldn't be much fun.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 17:09

From State College
I use a wet fly....just pale yellow dubbing with medium dun soft hackle.

As far as wings on dries. Anything I tye bigger than #14 has wings. #16 flies I tie some with wings some without. Anything #18 or smaller, I do not tye wings.

Not just because I am lazy and do not feel like messing with little wings, but because at the end of the drift, I let the non-winged fly swing (sometimes it sinks). I catch fish with this technique - esp. while fishing over #18- #20 BWOs.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 22:40

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

flyguyfishing wrote:
I use a wet fly....just pale yellow dubbing with medium dun soft hackle.

Do you use any tail on this wetfly?

Posted on: 2009/6/2 8:42

According to Gary LaFontaine’s writings, upright wings on a mayfly may be the dominant feature a trout notices when an adult dun mayfly drifts into their window of vision.

LaFontaine even goes further to say that trout may use the silhouette created by the wings as their initial search image when feeding on adult duns. If a trout is using the silhouette as initial search criteria and your fly doesn’t have wings, your fly will fail to pass the initial search criteria and the fly will be ignored not rejected/refused.

Rejected/refused would be the fly passes the initial search criteria and the trout expresses interest and upon closer inspection, the fly does not posses the secondary confirmation characteristics so it does not take the fly.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 9:21

From Monessen, PA
I talked to a fellow angler this weekend who found a rising trout that would ignore any natural floating by unless it was laying sideways with wings on the surface. In order to catch it, he had to cut off half the hackle or something. I'm not sure I believe him, but it is a good story. This adds further confirmation to my trout stupidity theory.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 9:50

From State College
No, no tails.

looks like this....

http://flydepot.com/flyfishing/soft-h ... ebfb9ca818a5a476606613e23

....but with pale yellow superfine dubbing and medium dun soft hackle (hen neck). The hackle on the ones I tie aren't as long as the fly shown in picture.

Also, I have never purchased anything from the fly depot, nor do I believe I have ever been to the web site before. I simply googled to find the image.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 11:42

From either at the tying desk or on the river
Quote:

JackM wrote:
I talked to a fellow angler this weekend who found a rising trout that would ignore any natural floating by unless it was laying sideways with wings on the surface. In order to catch it, he had to cut off half the hackle or something. I'm not sure I believe him, but it is a good story. This adds further confirmation to my trout stupidity theory.

Sounds like he may have been picking off cripples.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 2:45

Here's an article by Kelly Galloup on spinner cripples and how he ties them.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 2:52

Posted on: 2009/6/4 2:53

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com