Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Sulphers on Spring Creek

From Lehigh Valley, PA
I'll be fishing the Spring Creek Sulpher hatch over Memorial Day. This will be my first Sulpher hatch, and I would appreciate any pattern recommendations.

Posted on: 2007/5/16 18:42

Re: Sulphers on Spring Creek

From South West FL
Well, I like parachute style flies. So try this.

Tail: Dun hackle fibers or Fibbets
Abdomen: Orange(ish) superfine dubbing.
Hackle: Med Dun Hackle.

It works for me.

Posted on: 2007/5/17 10:06

From Carlisle
I fish duns and comparaduns for the most part up there.

Tie up sizes 14-18, because the dortheas should be in pretty good numbers by then and the invaria and rontundas should still be at it.

Tail: Dun Hackle fibers
Body: 30% Yellow, 30% Cream, 40% Orange superfine dubbing mix, you have to mix it yourself I dont know if the sell any mixtures like that.
Hackle: Medium Dun
I rarely put wings on my sulphurs but if you want to put some medium dun hackle tips in for wings then that should should work well.

For the Comparadun I replace the medium dun hackle with deer hair wings.

Fish pheasant tails before the hatch because they work pretty good at imitating the sulphur nymphs in the stream and a pretty good amount of the fish will be key on the nymphs and emergers.

I dont have a real good emerger pattern, so maybe someone else could help you out with that.

Posted on: 2007/5/17 10:38

From South West FL
I forgot to mention size I like 16. Splits the difference

Posted on: 2007/5/17 10:47

From Media, PA
Here's a nymph pattern that is deadly during a Sulpher hatch. I think it came from Rick Meyers, who developed it on Young Womans Creek. Tail: wood duck flank (brown Z-lon works as well) abdomen: dark brown dubbing, or pheasant tail. (fine copper wire if you use PT) Wing case: tie in some yellow dubbing with black ostrich on each side. This represents the adult ready to burst from the shuck. I tie it on a nymph hook (go one size higher than the adult) with a small amount of lead in the thorax. Fish this on a short dropper under you favorite pattern. In my experience, it will almost always catch the lions share, usually 10-1 over the dry. An exception was that June night on Spring, when it was cool and drizzling, and the trout took wildly for a couple of hrs. The next evening the nymph went right back to the head of the class. Sorry this isn't a more concise pattern listing: picked this up at a TU meeting many years ago. Now I have to tie a few fresh ones up; one of these evenings I might actually get to fish a hatch!

Posted on: 2007/5/18 11:13

From South West FL
Quote:

Van_Cleaver wrote:
Here's a nymph pattern that is deadly during a Sulpher hatch. I think it came from Rick Meyers, who developed it on Young Womans Creek. Tail: wood duck flank (brown Z-lon works as well) abdomen: dark brown dubbing, or pheasant tail. (fine copper wire if you use PT) Wing case: tie in some yellow dubbing with black ostrich on each side. This represents the adult ready to burst from the shuck. I tie it on a nymph hook (go one size higher than the adult) with a small amount of lead in the thorax. Fish this on a short dropper under you favorite pattern. In my experience, it will almost always catch the lions share, usually 10-1 over the dry. An exception was that June night on Spring, when it was cool and drizzling, and the trout took wildly for a couple of hrs. The next evening the nymph went right back to the head of the class. Sorry this isn't a more concise pattern listing: picked this up at a TU meeting many years ago. Now I have to tie a few fresh ones up; one of these evenings I might actually get to fish a hatch!

Do you fish that weighted or just drift it towrds the surface?

Posted on: 2007/5/18 11:25

From Monessen, PA
A variation of vancleaver's pattern is to tie the same fly on a curved caddis hook with a parachute "Klinkhammer" style.

Posted on: 2007/5/18 11:27

From Media, PA
To answer CM's question. I connect the nymph to the bend of the hook of my dun pattern (usually a parachute, use your fav. dry but make sure it is bouyant) with 12-24'' of tippet one size lighter than my dry; 18'' being about average. No additional weight, the fly has a little lead in the thorax. Usually I end up with 5 and 6X flouro. Just fish it like you're dry fly fishing and when the dry slides under..... you know what to do, I'm sure! Sometimes swinging it it a bit at the end works, but most times just a good drift past rising fish will give the dropper plenty of motion. Those mid-drift mends will add some movenment as well. I'm sure you could fish this fly with any nymphing method you choose, but the above method is effective and fun, so I look foward to using it when the Sulphers are on.

Posted on: 2007/5/19 0:06

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com