streetwalker steelhead fly

daman1277

daman1277

Has anybody ever used the streetwalker flie? they say it is an east coast fly just wondering if it is worth tying.

Taken from west fly out west
This fly is a variation of the traditional Purple Peril, with a Flashabou wing instead of squirrel tail. Under the low light of dawn, dusk, or an overcast day in fall, it suggests a presence in the water, with just enough flash to be attractive but not so much that it puts the fish off. An excellent pattern for western steelhead, it also has been used as attractor pattern for trout. Eight-pound rainbows have been known to gobble it up with confidence.

yea i read that to. i am just wondering if anybody uses it?

seems to be a western pattern, go for it, looks good.

I read the purple peril is the western pattern and the streetwalker is its eastern counterpart

Hope pic loads

Attachments

• StreetWalker.jpg
    StreetWalker.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1
Never heard of it. I don't do a lot of steelhead fishing. I suspect that fly might work under the right conditions i.e. good flows, "warm" water. I've not had any success swinging these more traditional patterns in Erie more because I rearely seem to be up there under ideal water conditions. Purple is supposed to be a good steelhead color. No harm in trying it out. If it's not working, switch.

Did you tie that flie? If so, nice job. What is the tail material? If I didn't have it I would just substitute stripped hackle fibers.

I wish I tied this fly lol.

Wets work pretty well in a variety of "fishy" colors. My one buddy who is the most deadly steelheader I know got bored with egg patterns and mostly swings wets now. As usual, IMHO I think presentation trumps fly pattern. I would say getting the fly down to the right level in a good lie is more important than color (within limits). Most swingers use a splitshot near the 4 ft limit or a sink tip with a short 3' or 4' leader. One hot spot is in the lane where they travel at the top of a rapid/tail of a pool.

I think wets just irritate a steelie into striking and a bunch of colors will do the trick. I like copper body and black hackle flies and like a mixture of old school wets and classic steelie flies just beacuse. A lot of Atlantic salmon flies do the trick too - like the workhorse Blue Charm. John Shewey in his steelhead fly book talks about the issue of color. In his observations, 80% of the fly fishers will use the "hot color" that is being touted and catch 80% of the fish. The 20% that stick to there usual colors only catch 20% of the fish. Does a "hot color" really exist then or is it hot only because nearly everyone uses it?

Back