Streamers

jayL

jayL

Since I have been talking about big streamers lately, I figured I would share a few.

They are fun to tie and fun to fish. They are also heavily weighted with lead wraps along the entire shank, so some might not enjoy casting them. I do. :)

Criticisms welcome.

Attachments

• sdc10933.jpg
    sdc10933.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 9
  • sdc10934.jpg
    sdc10934.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 1
  • sdc10935.jpg
    sdc10935.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 2
  • sdc10936.jpg
    sdc10936.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 2
yes but take it from a been there,done that type
Do test cast one before tying 100 no matter how cold it is outside.
i tied up a box of streamers that would have stressed a surf rod-lol
To add insult to injury they were the only ones I had with me-60 miles from home and I had to go to a flyshop so I could fish.
nice looking flys Jay.

For perspective:

They are all about 4 inches long. I tie them in 4 and 6 as well, but the 2s are what I mostly use.

This is what happens when I find my camera.

Attachments

• sdc10937.jpg
    sdc10937.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 1
well,since you asked-the last one looks like a tail wrapper.

Good point. It is trimmable on the stream, though. :)

look good jay , wow #2's with coneheads , your really parting that water for the big takes , look like midnight slammers to me , throwin with a 6 weight ? or 5 ?

I can throw them with a 9'5wt, but it is difficult. I overline it with 6wt line to slow the rod down, but that also makes it more work to cast, but overall easier to control. I get the hang of it after a few minutes each time out.

I just ordered my new rod blank and components. It is going to be built for this.

nice ties thanks for sharin

Jay is that slumpy squirrel or rabbit ?

Jay, check into Kelly Gallups streamers. Especially the ones that use tandam hooks. I tie'em with two size 4 hooks and the trout tell me they are still too small.

They have an absolutly great swimming action in the water. Whether or not the trout want to eat them, when you swim one over their head, they feel like they have too.

Monster streamers! That's what I'm talkin about.....

Spent some time tying muskie streamers this evening - hopefully we'll get to chuck 'em on a good muskie river sometime soon. I never realised what suckers big smallmouths are for huge baits until I started muskie fishing, which usually entailed throwing big in-line spinners 7-10" in length and similar sized (or larger) swimming and top water plugs. Smallies in the 14"+ size range just love to smash these big lures. Ditto with pike, even small ones. Trout as, well, also possess a surprising affinity for lures or flies that are much larger than conventional wisdom would suggest. The old adage "big fly big fish" is of course true but even 10" trout or bass will often hit a 6" streamer. When you see this happen, all of a sudden you realize that a 3-4" streamer is no-where near too large.
Quite eye opening.

Cool ties Jay now I wanna watch you throw them around. You really found your niche in ff.

Fishidiot wrote:
Monster streamers! That's what I'm talkin about.....

Spent some time tying muskie streamers this evening - hopefully we'll get to chuck 'em on a good muskie river sometime soon. I never realised what suckers big smallmouths are for huge baits until I started muskie fishing, which usually entailed throwing big in-line spinners 7-10" in length and similar sized (or larger) swimming and top water plugs. Smallies in the 14"+ size range just love to smash these big lures. Ditto with pike, even small ones. Trout as, well, also possess a surprising affinity for lures or flies that are much larger than conventional wisdom would suggest. The old adage "big fly big fish" is of course true but even 10" trout or bass will often hit a 6" streamer. When you see this happen, all of a sudden you realize that a 3-4" streamer is no-where near too large.
Quite eye opening.

It's very eye opening.

It started when I caught my biggest wild brown to date, and it had a catchable sized trout in its throat. I then went to MT and realized that 80% of my buggers weren't big enough. The 2s were all that I fished.

I came home and have fished them on PA streams a few times. They work. 12-14 inch trout have completely swallowed them before, and I've caught them down to 8 or 9 inches. For the most part, the average fish is larger.

They do slam them.

I'll use the same flies for SMs, but I guess once I start musky fishing, I'll get hooked on throwing 8-10 inch flies to them. :lol:

I like the looks of those buggers.

I prefer a beefier body on my zonker patterns, but still a nice tie.

Thanks bam.

How do you tie your zonkers?

Nice ties, Jay. The 2nd picture is my go to bugger pattern (when I do fish them). Zonker could be a bit beefier as bam said. But awesome ties all together.

If I get around to it I'll post a couple pics tonight. I usually tie the body similar to a bugger just because it's so simple. If I'm using silver or gold piping, I'll build up a thick underbody of yarn before slipping it over the hook shank and tying in.

Superglue is key when tying big flies on big hooks wrapped with lead and I can't believe I wasn't using it before but I picked up some G2X thread? recently. Wow! What a difference when tying these patterns. It's a very smooth thread, but boy can you torque it. Beats snapping 6/0 uni on my big buggers.

J

thats a good tip Bam i'll have to try that thread...waxed monochord works good too...

jeff

Back