Storing Fly tying Material

F

Fly5

Hello, I am new to this forum as well as fly fishing in general.I recently inherited a large amount of fly tying material. It was stored in containers with moth balls, I am somewhat aware of the issues with the moth balls.These materials were stored for about five years or so,should I proceed with caution in handling this material.Is there an alternative to the moth balls and what is the best way to store any material going forward? I am interested in learning about fly tying as well,so I would like to store this material properly.Any advice will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

I store mine in mothballs. Just do not go crazy with them. A little goes a long way. BTW welcome aboard.

Welcome Fly5.
There was some recent discussion of mothballs:
Moth Balls

I have kept all my tying material in tupperware containers with cedar in them for well over twenty years and have never had an issue. Welcome to the site any question you have can surely be answered here. Enjoy.

Thanks, for all of the great input.I think I will try the cedar instead of the moth balls.I am looking forward to all of the helpful info. on this great website going forward.Thanks again..

i use tupper ware tubs too - ones that latch shut. i have tubs each for hackles, bucktails, wings and tails, flash, artificial hair etc

why the cedar though ? - i heard of horse chestnuts/conkers/buckeyes keeping spiders and bugs out but never cedar

The scent of the natural oil in the cedar works to repel bugs, just keeps them from calling your capes home.

Back