Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Stoneflies and others

From Coopersburg
Got some new hooks at the fly show and tied up some stonefly nymphs along with some others. I have no clue which stonefly or other bugs these represent, I just tied them up to look cool. I feel if the give me confidence, I'll fish them regardless of what bugs are in that particular stream. I really like the stoneflies but I am still new to tying so please advise and critique for my reference in future tying. Im still learning how to edit photos properly so appologies for bad quality...

Stonefly
Click to see original Image in a new window

BH Stonefly

Breadcrust

Nymphs

Posted on: 1/26 10:43

Re: Stoneflies and others

From Philly
I don't fish stones much, but those all look really good. No critiques from my end!

Posted on: 1/26 11:28

From Ferguson Twp.
That's a fine looking lot of flies you have there, get out and get them in the water as soon as temps get to your liking. They're all going to take fish, now and later.

Posted on: 1/26 11:39

From Pipersville Pa.
Tyger, they look really good. I see you are making some good use of that partridge skin you got. They will catch some fish. I know just the place where we can try them.

GenCon

Posted on: 1/26 12:18

Ian Anderson, Thick as a brick.

From Coopersburg
Thank you all,
I was foaming at the mouth to fish and tie after that show, but the polar vortex bullcrap decided no fishing. Picked up the slack in tying.

I really like stoneflies, but rarely fish them either. I just think they are really cool looking and enjoy tying them.

Posted on: 1/26 12:25

From Nazareth PA
They all look great. I bet the fish will love them too.
Bill

Posted on: 1/26 14:38

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From Spring Grove, Pa
I agree. They all look great.........

Posted on: 1/26 18:32

From Portage, PA
They look great. I like using vinyl rib for bodies as well.

Posted on: 1/28 15:04

From Coopersburg
I had trouble tying in the tubing. Had to start it behind the lead wraps to keep a somewhat proper tapered body.

Posted on: 1/28 15:12

From Lancaster
Nice looking stonefly ties. I like the legs. You can control the taper of the body when using vinyl rib by increasing and decreasing the tension on the vinyl rib. Increase pressure at the tail and it will flatten out, as you move to the front of the body decrease the pressure as you go and it will help in forming a tapered body. This in combination with forming a tapered underbody with thread should help you with the overall tapered body issue. Keep up the good work!

Posted on: 1/28 15:28

From Coopersburg
I see what your saying. I think on bigger hooks it looks ok but on smaller hooks, tying it in the whole underbody would make it look to fat.

Posted on: 1/28 15:40

From Pipersville Pa.
Tyger, bring it with you Thurs. night. I will show you some secrete squirrel tricks.

GenCon

Posted on: 1/28 16:14

Ian Anderson, Thick as a brick.

From Portage, PA
Tyger, not sure what colors of rib you got, but use white thread under it if you have transparent or translucent colors. Then half hitch to secure them. Tie in the thread you will finish with and continue tying the pattern. Makes for a lot more brilliant and true colors. Just something I found through trial and error.

Posted on: 1/28 19:18

From Portage, PA
There are also different sizes as well. I believe they are small, nymph, medium, and large. I like to use it as ribbing on hares ear patterns occasionally, match the bead and the rib. Caught a lot of trout on off color hares ears.

Posted on: 1/28 19:22

From Coopersburg
Mike will bring my stuff.

Mike R, I have brown, chart, and black. All translucent. I thought the exact opposite of white thread. Thought if I used dark thread under the chart color, it would give a more mottled look I guess. I will try the white thread trick out tonight.

I think one thing holding me back is my vise doesnt hold my hooks to well anymore so really cranking on the tubing rips the hook out of the vise.

Posted on: 1/28 19:39

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
162 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com