Steelhead swap

David

David

We'll pull this out into it's own topic...

Who is up for a quick salmon / steelhead swap to get ready for the upcoming season. Be forewarned, we'll probably want a quicker turnaround time than most since the season is quickly approaching.

While we can take a few egg patterns, we don't want it to be an egg swap... I would think we need a Prince and a ZugBug to help settle that debate. Other possibilities would be PTs, black or gold stones, buggers, egg sucking leeches, comets, small decievers, etc. I don't need to list all the non-egg possibilities.

I'll host the swap if there is enough interest.

Let's give 1 week for sign ups - so a sept 9th deadline.

Would 2 or 3 weeks be enough for you tiers?...that would allow us to get them out by the first or 2nd week of October. I believe a number of people will be heading up to NY around then.

If interested, let us know what you'll be tying.

I can hear the reels screamin' now!!!

I am intrested.

This would be my first time.

I am not really sure how this works.

I would like to at least come and meet everyone and take a look at everyones spread.

If I could have something specific to tie I would be happy to contribute. Any info for me would be great on how all of this works.

Dave,

I am interested...how many flies are we talking about...do we send them to you and then you divy them up and back to everyone the participated...or do we get together for this shindig...

Depending on the number...I would be in for tying some Elk creek Caddis patterns (easiest fly ever) from the Jerry Darkes flies or maybe some Slumpbusters from John Barrs group of flies...both have been incredibly successful for me..

Boss_Steb

I'm in for my zug prince.

I need every fly I can tie for myself. Sounds like fun, though.

I am in for this swap. I can do either a bunny streamer pattern I have had success with in Erie for steelhead or olive egg sucking leech.

Sign me up for a Golden Stone

Sounds like fun to me. I'll be tying a black humpback stone.

Millertime and Boss,
After the sign up date passes, I will email everyone and send further information...anyone who is joining the swap should PM me your email address.
We do it by mail simply because we have people from across the state, so it's difficult to get everyone together.
How many we have to tie depends on the # of participants. Typically you tie one for each person in the swap (minus yourself, of course). It is also nice to tie up an extra one for Dave Kile as well as ones for each of the Mods for their efforts in providing this forum.
What I typically will do is get two 9"X12" manilla envelopes. I'll address one to myself and one to the host. I'll get a cork, attach my flies to it and put it in a smallish container. Put the flies and the self addressed envelope inside the host envelope. I'll take it to the post office and have them price it, then stamp BOTH envelopes. A week or so later, you will recieve your self addressed envelope with everyones flies.
Something to keep in mind is to not use too small of an envelope. Even if your flies are small enough to get into the envelope, some others may tie large ones (I think somebody already mentioned tying a slumpbuster!)
Some people will put a little tag on their flies so it is easy to distinguish who tied what flies.

I'm in. Buddy of mine had a killer pattern, I'll see if he wants to share it. It was a zonker stlye tied on a clouser hook.

JH

Please count me in I can tie my olive estez stone.
Chris

I was toying around on the bench today and came up with this prototype. If this looks like anything you guys would like to throw, count me in. Not sure about the name, what do you think? Muphere Stone or SixBurgh Stone?

Attachments

• muphere stone.jpg
    muphere stone.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi , i am the new guy in this forums . i am working online for an EC .
i found many beautiful and good things with low price. I`m sure that you will like it . if you are interested in this . welcome to google2008,com

It is amazing that i ever like eat fishi so much .

Happy to see your forums , i want to take usually .

Jaybo,

Nice fly. Sort of looks like an evil weevil.

http://hipwader.com/2005/evil-weevil-nymph

Attachments

• Evil weevil.jpg
    Evil weevil.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 0
I'd certainly like to try one!

you can sign me up i have never did a swap before but i think i can tie good enough (novice) if that just a question what are some good sizes and is there a special hook required for steelhead flies?

I'd certainly like to try one!
Count me in then David, thanks for hosting! Do you have a list compiled of who's in?

Afish-I'd never seen the Evil Weevil, but that's one that I certainly need to tie! Thanks for the link and photo.

I've been in a couple of swaps and I found that an empty Altoid's tin is perfect to hold flies. Even when we did a bugger/streamer swap they all fit nicely. I also like to add a tag of paper to the hook with your PAFF handle or name and pattern

Ok, with one day left to join, we have 11 tiers...

Bruno
SotS
JayL
FFJ
Millertime
boss_steb
mkoloch
CRB
Jaybo41
flipnfly
David

Lets get 2 more to make an even dozen that we have to tie for...

Count me in on the swap; I'll take on a PT or PT-"ish" nymph. Let me know what size(s) to tie; I'm new to FF and to Steelhead.

I'm looking forward to swaping flies with everyone.

If we're looking for one more:

Ran this by my buddy brian that many of you met at the jam. He's a beginning tier, but would like to give it a shot if y'all don't mind his developing skills. I think he has an account here, but doesn't post.

Back