Steelhead flies?

osprey

osprey

What is your most productive fly for Erie steelhead? I'd have to say so far mine is a gold ribbed hares ear or a very small wooly bugger.

this year with the water so low and clear im using with good results a gold hares ear with a beadhead and rubber legs tyed madam x style at the head in 16# and 14#

Bowmandjk....that sounds pretty close to the same , when i first started going north for the big uns , about 10 years ago , i allowed myself to be intimidated , the rhetoric like "Big fly big fish" and the egg patterns and the "Steelhead Flies" the salmon style ones , lots of color and tied on big hooks , but it seems to me , the truth is , if you can catch trout anywhere else with a certain degree of confidence you can catch those Erie steelhead using the same flies , in the same sizes , and with basically the same techniques and tackle. The only place I really needed to change anything much was in the tackle area and by that i mean a little heavier terminal tackle , rod , line , leader. The same flies that work anywhere......HOLD ON , STAND BACK , DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!!

There's a nice big thread that was discussed a month or so ago on this. It's got some great info and even some pics and recipies.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8899&forum=5

I have to say this year and last year...my most productive two fly rig is a size 14 or 16 elk creek caddis in cream and a loose egg with orange center size 16.

I have never been blanked since switching to this combination.

Boss

A loose egg is tied very sparce and fluffy, not tight like you see most egg patterns. When the water fills it, it looks like a real egg with the orange dot...

is that the "scrambled egg" pattern that is the big rage this year?

Tied kind of like a SS.. Only 3 loops, the center being the blood dot color but wider loops than a SS.

They are called blood dots after Jeff Blood who came up with the idea...

Ry, no it is actually a very loosely tied egg, sort of fluffy. I will take a picture and attach it both dry and wet. Actually the worse you tie this egg...the better...

If you take egg yarn, pull it apart and use about 1/3 to 1/4 of the amount from on strand. So it is very sparse. I use Spirit River dubbing in orange with some flash in it, roll a thin thread like amount..maybe the size of pencil lead....and tie it all down as one would for a normal egg pattern. Pull it up...whack it off and fluff it out.

Boss

i got a question the fly ricks rat that fly fisherman j tied for the swap how is it supposed to be fished? as a streamer or drifted ? anyone know?

Rich Zoog from the old Orchard View Anglers turned me on to this pattern...super easy to tie...you can loose a hundred and not feel bad...great for beginners and best of all it catches fish...these pictures are not the best...they are more fluffy than they look. If anyone wants a few, let me know and I can probably drop a few in the mail to guys and gals...watch I will get swarmed...chances you take I guess...

Attachments

• Stebbins Nikon Cam 82108 779.jpg
    Stebbins Nikon Cam 82108 779.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Stebbins Nikon Cam 82108 778.jpg
    Stebbins Nikon Cam 82108 778.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 2
sandfly wrote:
They are called blood dots after Jeff Blood who came up with the idea...

When I was a kid, I had my little sister convinced that Lighthouse McCraig invented the lighthouse.

Was lucky enough to meet Jeff on the Salmon River a few weeks ago- excellent fly tyer and fisherman. Check out this article on his egg concepts http://www.digitalpublisherpro.com/Magazine.php?member_id=2&pub_id=103&issue_id=336

how are they tied boss

found a recipe. I think I've seen it tied with just one bump at either end of the dot rather than 2 on each side. But here's the link none the less. I think the key is to tie the main color very sparse and spread out the yarn. I'm going to attempt to tie some of these up today.

http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/ftying/patterns/eggs/blood_dot/

Huevos are in the mail...Have a great weekend...

Boss

I grew up in Erie and moved to SE PA about 2 years ago. Really jonesin for steel about now, but hopefully I'll get out a day or 2 in conjunction with a hunting trip back home.

I always had better luck with my normal trout flies than with eggs, crysal meths, etc. There were countless days fishing 16 mile at the first falls during a weekday when I would have to quit fishing because my arm hurt from fighting fish when I would use nothing but GRHEs and PTs with a Green Weenie thrown in on high water days.

On my last two trips, this past spring in early March and this fall in mid-October, the two flies that produced for me were light blue eggs with a black dot and black and yellow eggs (with a pink marabou "tail")

I TRIED TO USE FLIES OTHER THAN EGGS, HONESTLY, BUT WITHOUT ANY LUCK - eggs are all that ever work for me. Sometimes it feels a little cheesy tossing those egg patterns - but oh well...

Maybe someday I'll catch one on something else - sound like I'll need to try a hare's ear.

AnW could you give us a recipe for that crystal meth fly , i saw them and the look good but i've never tried em yet. I know all the stores carry them and i saw an old guy catch em all day on that pattern. THANKS

Osprey, think Sucker Spawn, but with sparkle braid. Some guys like them with Flash of some sorts on the tail too.

Check THIS out.

Flip N,

Great pic earlier on the jam pics part...this is tied just like you would normally tie an egg pattern...but very sparse and almost wispy...drop me a pm or email to boss_steb@yahoo.com with your address and I will send you a half dozen or so....

Instead of using one full or two or three pieces of egg yarn...I use about a third or one piece of egg yarn...and then put a small clump of orange spirit river dubbing on top...pull it up just like a normal egg...whack it off with sharp sissors....

And done...

Back