Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Spinner Wings

From Cato, NY
I use antron, parapost, or organza and haven't had any problems with any of those materials. I use frogs fanny on the wings and it works great. Sometimes I tie in some pearl crystal flash (sparsely) to give some sparkle to the wings.

Posted on: 2011/12/4 14:19

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

mcwillja wrote:
I use antron, parapost, or organza and haven't had any problems with any of those materials. I use frogs fanny on the wings and it works great. Sometimes I tie in some pearl crystal flash (sparsely) to give some sparkle to the wings.

I do the exact same thing, but use Tiemco Dry Magic on the wings.

Posted on: 2011/12/4 14:25

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Cato, NY
Late last season I picked up some Tiemco Dry Magic and it was pretty good. I applied the Magic first and then coated with Frog's Butt. That seemed to be a really good combo. Coz from BWO recommended that to me.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 8:35

From around boiling springs
you have to keep the dna rather sparse otherwise it will clump together but they do make nice wings

Posted on: 2011/12/5 10:56

From LV
It depends on what I'm tying. I do use hackle tips for some patterns, hair for some and antron for some.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 20:51

rusty Spinners

From bozeman, mt
i am looking to purchase or custom order old fashioned double(triple) wing rusty spinners with poly yarn wings....
if you can help, please advise
thanks

capt chuck
brodzini@cs.com

Posted on: 2013/8/1 18:19

From Carbon County
I've used CDC for some rusty and sulphur spinners and it seems to hold up ok but you need the feathers with the stem and not the puffs. I've bought some good looking bwo and sulphurs made with whatever that "real wing" material is but they never produced good for me. I use parachutes and regular Adams style flies a lot during spinner falls and they work also as long as they "match the hatch"

Posted on: 2013/8/1 20:59

From Delaware River
Here's an idea that I know several guides use. Tie your spinner how you normally would but tie it like a parachute. Now, rotate the fly so you are looking at the top. Trim any hackles pointing towards the eye or towards the tail. What results is a very floaty fly, with good visibility.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 21:50

From Chester County
Quote:

gaeronf wrote:
Here's an idea that I know several guides use. Tie your spinner how you normally would but tie it like a parachute. Now, rotate the fly so you are looking at the top. Trim any hackles pointing towards the eye or towards the tail. What results is a very floaty fly, with good visibility.

I tie parachute hackle for many of my spinner patterns. I use a bright colored post for better visibility on the water and trim it short at the end. Instead of trimming the hackle fore and aft, I hold the hackle perpendicular to the shank and figure 8 around the hackle. Works well.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 6:14

From LV
As an addendum to what I already said, the naturals seldom hold their shape, why worry about it. Our mutual friend used either hackle or deer hair depnding on species imitated.
An alternative would e to use a compara dun pattern.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 8:39

Quote:

jay348 wrote:
Not owning many wing materials, ive started using standard dry fly hackle as a wing and clipping the underside flat. I tend to wrap mine a little thinker (an extra wrap or two), but thats just preference.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Not the best pic, but you can kinda see what i mean. But anyway, clipping it flat makes it ride low and i'll just use little bit of floatant w/ the hackle.

That's how I tie spinner wings also. It's simple, realistic looking, and the trout love them.

Just wrap some hackle, and clip the bottom. That's it.

You can also clip the top, but I don't. I leave it there so the fly is easier to see on the water. That doesn't seem to bother the trout.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 10:26

In this video, I tied a high-visibility spinner using Antron/Zelon for the wings. I also have a piece of fabric from a wedding dress that has incredible fibers perfect for the translucent wings.

Using hackle is a great alternative, being that it allows the space between fibers to appear translucent like the original spinners. I have a friend who swears by individual hen hackles for each wing. Good luck!

TC

Posted on: 2013/8/2 21:31

Feel free to also check out my fly tying tutorials here:

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

From Southwestern NY
On the line of floating materials, after reading his thread. I have this thought/question.

Standard sewing machine theead is siliconized as a lubricant to help it through the machine easier. So why not make the body out of sewing thread, and maybe a bit of antron dubbing just to add some shine to it as well?

This thought is based from rod building and you cant use standard thread via the silicone and epoxy dint like each other...

Posted on: 2013/8/3 8:36

That's an interesting idea, for sure. I sometimes prefer simply thread for the body bc I think too much dubbing gets it built-up quickly. Have you tied any with that material?

TC

Posted on: 2013/8/3 9:35

Feel free to also check out my fly tying tutorials here:

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

From SEPA
Antron soaks water and sinks. Whatever shimmer you might gain is offset by the fact that your fly is now sinking.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 11:06

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com