Somerset shopping list

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

I'm just curious what kinds of material or items are on everyones list for Somerset. Although I never attended before I have quite a list of materials. Olive muskrat, gold and copper beads, and of course hackles I could really use small quanities of a few different colors. What's on your list?

Not much really, going mostly because a friend wants to go.

Might look at some new wading boots. Mine got maybe a half season left, so if I see a deal I might jump in. I might buy some flies too if I see any that really catch my eye. Last year I bought some stoneflies from Rob's Realistics, they were something else.

Mostly going to cast some rods, hang with fellow PAFFs and exerience it - never been to it before.

There's a couple of fly shops that set up there whose inventory I like to browse. I always find something unusual that I never saw before or just have to have. But I don't have anything specific to get.

I can usually find some good bargains as well as run into people I know or have met onstream somewhere.

Thought about going but I have to be at the catskill fly fishing museum on feb. 13 to do some tying with another 70 tyers..so I have to get the fly tying kit together and special sale items for there...

The fly tying demos at Somerset are absolutely world class. I'd like to think I'm pretty jaded regarding fly tying but every time I visit that show the tying just knocks my socks off. And as one who primarily likes to tie bass and saltwater stuff there's plenty there too. It's not just a trout show. I think the main draw of the shows are the seminars and lectures. Whatever aspect of FFing you're interested in, there's probably at least a couple speakers focusing on that topic.
As for materials, I prefer to purchase most of my fly tying stuff at my local fly shop but will be looking for some specific materials used in fancy salmon flies. The array of fly tying materials available at the show is not as great as the tying examples and seminars IMO.

I like the demos and the presentations, but mostly the atmosphere.

If I see somthing unique that I would used I buy it -- mostly tying material.

The only thing I had a real desire to buy was a set of wing burners and some jungle cock nails, and I got them both at the tying show.

This time, though, maybe I'll add another size of burners to my kit.. They're neat, but they seem way oversized.

Other than that, I'm still looking at a long rod and considering all options, I can always hope for a deal.

gfen wrote:
The only thing I had a real desire to buy was a set of wing burners and some jungle cock nails, and I got them both at the tying show.

This time, though, maybe I'll add another size of burners to my kit.. They're neat, but they seem way oversized.

Other than that, I'm still looking at a long rod and considering all options, I can always hope for a deal.

ohh yeah wing burners I a;ways wanted them. Darn to bad I didn't know you owned them or I woulda had to try them at the tying get together. On my list now!

I have not posted for a while but I am going to Somerset again this year and for those of us that fish the salt, hooks are the #1 item on my list along with various odd items related to SW tying that can't be found locally. The other thing on my list this year are "books". There are books there that I've rarely seen anywhere else relating to "local" knowledge at various locations throughout the east coast. I will be keeping an eye on Johnny King at the Bears Den booth because I feel he is the one of, if not THE best and innovative SW tyers on the scene today. Rich Murphy is also very open and friendly and will take time to give you a TON of info on striper fishing and tying his style of flies. It will be good to see Bob Popovich again pick his brain because we fish the same waters. Somerset is worth the trip from Pgh. , hands down the best "show" I've ever attended.

JA

littlelehigh wrote:
ohh yeah wing burners I a;ways wanted them. Darn to bad I didn't know you owned them or I woulda had to try them at the tying get together. On my list now!

I brought them along just in case, too.

I love the way the wings look, but I think the set I have is just too big. I'm not sure, because outside of some split duck flank, I don't really tie catskill flies so wings aren't my forte.

The problem is no local shop I've been in has them, but a few guys had them at Somerset.

You could make your own using this link. If you have a Dremel tool, it's a piece of cake. Sounds like a nice project for LL.

I had a complete set of home-made wing burners along at the tying get together. I use a label maker to label the sizes. For a fraction of the cost of a small set of burners, you can get enough brass to make a full set in all sizes and types.

Making quality tying tools is just another aspect of tying that provides satisfaction to the user. The wood working store in the same mall as that awesome Chinese buffet has premade pen making parts that would make the Wasatch tools look crappy. Anyone up for a road trip (with a stop for lunch, of course)? :-D

Heritage-Angler wrote:
You could make your own using this link. If you have a Dremel tool, it's a piece of cake. Sounds like a nice project for LL.

I made my own a MF, CF, SF wing set in different sizes. You can make some very nice wings and wingcases with them, though I rarely use them much anymore.

Heritage-Angler wrote:

I had a complete set of home-made wing burners along at the tying get together. I use a label maker to label the sizes. For a fraction of the cost of a small set of burners, you can get enough brass to make a full set in all sizes and types.

Making quality tying tools is just another aspect of tying that provides satisfaction to the user. The wood working store in the same mall as that awesome Chinese buffet has premade pen making parts that would make the Wasatch tools look crappy. Anyone up for a road trip (with a stop for lunch, of course)? :-D

Well I used to be a cabinetmaker and have plenty of woodworking tools to go around this may be a good spring project for me!

Back