Sick looking stones

mute

mute

found these on the net, wish i could be this good.

blackstoneflywt6.jpg

yellowstoneflyrs4.jpg

brownstonelb3.jpg

lightbrightstoneflyeo3.jpg

goldenstonebq8.jpg

glassbeadstoneqa7.jpg

blackbeadstoneflygd8.jpg

earlybrownrd9.jpg

littlegoldensu5.jpg

plasticstonefly3qv6.jpg

Those are some very nice looking bugs. I used to sweat the details on my stone nymphs, taking a very long time to tie them. I never timed myself but I am sure that some took 20 to 30 minutes. Then, it would take a cast or two to loose them.

A very popular stone nymph out here is this fly. It is easy to tie, and from my experience, catches just as many fish. However, I totally understand wanting to tie and fish such awesome looking flies.

Hey Mute,

Try this pattern not as pretty as those above but it's a good start...

http://www.wrmdesign.co.uk/apft/patterns/nymphs/kaufmannsstonefly.html

I'm Looking for a good adult stone pattern. I went to the place where i am going the first day and there where black stone flies every. They have been hatching for acouple weeks now. But they might not be around in three weeks.

For the little black stone use a black elk hair tied on a 2x long hook..Stimulators work the best for stones around here I think..

The early black stones began on my home stream in Pa in late Feb or early March. I have never seen a more intense and long lasting black stone hatch, or emergance. The best dry we used was a well hackled, black ehc styled fly. The black stones are available to trout in big numbers when the females slam onto the surface in big numbers to lay their eggs. Very often they skitter accross the surface and the well hackled fly was great at imatating this. Many years our biggest brown was caught in March during the black stone fly hatch.

Oh yeah, I liked to put an underwing of a greyish wing material under the top wing. When those flies hit the surface their wings are fluttering.

I agree with Fly-bop 100%
Those fawncy stone fly nymphs are better fisherman catchers than fish catchers.
The rubber legs type with appropriate colors are deadly.
Look up the Bitch Creek and type versions of that.
Remember-stone flys are ones that grow considerably over the year or two[some species] they are nymphs so you need different sizes for the right season.
The big stonefly[salmon fly] of the west requires 10s in the winter and 4s in the summer to match what the fish are keying on,for example.

Back