Shad Flies

kmmichael51

kmmichael51

Getting read to hit the vise to tie some shad flies, anybody have a goto fly. Gonna tie some basics but would like some more ideas

Size 6-8 hook (sometimes lead wrap body)
small dumbell "Clouser style"
Marabou tail w/crystal flash
Silver tinsel wrap body
Finish the head with crystal chenille over the dumbell
Tie in any color combo you'd like
I like Chartreuse & White; Orange & White, and Hot Pink & White, but many others work.

I'm tying a bunch this week for a trip to FL next week.

haha, just had a conversation with Lestrout on this. "Shadfly" is a common name, and not used consistently. In some places it means one type of critter, in others a different type of critter.

In my lexicon, "shadfly" = Green Drake. But in other places they can describe streamers, a type of caddis, and a type of stonefly!

Mustad 3906 hook Size 6-8

Body of fluorescent chenille...I like orange, pink, chartreuse, or white

Wing of same color or contrasting color of calf tail

Some good combos...body then wing

white, red
white, chartreuse
white, pink

These are really the only flies I use for shad on the Rappahanock River in Virginia. I use a full sinking or intermediate line.

Well, I guess you meant "flies for shad" rather than shadflies! Sorry, haha. And carry on....

My go to shad flies are an olive over white fishair/ super hair surf candy in #6 - tye it short , about 2" max on a wide gape hook - I use a Gami SC15 for the short shank n wide gape.

And on the same hook a Ray's fly.

Tye both with and without Krystal flash.

I'm not sure which shad you're after but for me hooking is easy, it's keeping them on which is tough - strike hard, keep the line tight and use a soft or medium rod tip in 5-7.

I usually use a 10ft 7wt

Let's see, shad fly = green Drake, Hexagenia, some species of large caddis, etc. It's as others have said a common name for several flies. Try to narrow it down to a name of a fly that's less well used.
Then there are flies used to catch shad.

they like chartreuse. small clousers and some flash will do.

I have been chasin shad on the fly since 1970. These are all I ever needed for them. Last one is for herring in bucks county, tied in several colors with the sequin on hook bend.

Attachments

• 3-28-06 016.jpg
    3-28-06 016.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 3-17-08 017.jpg
    3-17-08 017.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 2
  • 3-17-08 026.jpg
    3-17-08 026.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 3
  • 3-17-08 020.jpg
    3-17-08 020.jpg