Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Scissors in hand when tying?

From York, PA
Trying to be a little more efficient at the vise and I am trying to keep the scissors in hand when tying. Who holds the scissors? Who puts them down?

Any tips? Am I really gonna save time keeping them in hand?

Posted on: 1/10 21:25

Re: Scissors in hand when tying?

From United States
Yeah, I keep them in my hand. I put the finger next to the pinkie in a hoop. That is the finger that remains in the scissor. I've had problems with some scissors that don't fit right. The scissor will come open and stab or prick my hand. I've used the ones that you can bend the hoops. They work nicely. I am currently using a pair made by Kershaw. I really like them. Find a pair that fit comfortably. It does save time.

Posted on: 1/10 22:12
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From Gettysburg
I tried some different ways of holding the scissors while tying but generally gave it up after sticking myself.....in addition to discovering that it didn't speed things up much for me.

Posted on: 1/10 22:33

I don't tie with the scissors in my hand. It's "one **** at a time" for me (bonus points if you can name the movie that quote came from).

I do everything slow, except driving, so I've accepted the fact I'll tie flies at my own pace.

Posted on: 1/11 0:36
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
I tried some different ways of holding the scissors while tying but generally gave it up after sticking myself.....in addition to discovering that it didn't speed things up much for me.

This^

Posted on: 1/11 2:00

From Pa
Over the years, I've managed to stab myself to many times in to many different places when I keep them in hand. I lay 'em down for health reasons.

Posted on: 1/11 3:32

From Ferguson Twp.
I use these:
http://hatchesmagazine.com/shop/6th-finger-fly-tying-scissors.html
I been tying with scissors in hand for well over twenty years, it doesn't save a whole lot of time but I like it a lot better than having to pick them up when I want them. Also, I just like having them at the ready.Frequent tyer showed me his pair at Sumerset where he was tying, you don't even know they're in your hand. The biggest reason for that I think is that you don't have to hold on to them or worry about them shifting to stick you they stay out of the way nicely and are always ready for a quick snip when you need them. I'm not advocating that everyone should hold on to them it works for some but not everyone. If you're doing it now, and like it but you can't find the right pair that are comfortable in hand you might try these. Mike, can't thank you enough.

Posted on: 1/11 6:45

From Lancaster Co.
Tried to tie with them in my hands and couldn't get used to it. I tie flies for among other things, relaxation. Speed is not of the essence to me.

Posted on: 1/11 7:55

From South Central PA
I tie with them in my hand and save no time whatsoever, nor have I ever thought of it as a time saver. It is simply comfortable and convenient on a sloppy desk and develops a dexterity that translates to nimbleness in unhooking fish when using certain hemos that have scissor size holes and length. I do put them down for some procedures, such as wrapping and tying off parachute hackle, especially on smaller flies.

Outstanding tiers such as McPhail and, locally, Ed Shenk according to video I saw, put them down. Shenk makes a point of saying that, in fact.

Posted on: 1/11 8:30

From Lewistown
I tried for a while when I thought tying was about speed. Now I tie for leisure and picking them up is just more comfortable and opens my hand up for anything else I need to do.
Besides it's easier to pick them up when I need them rather than get them off my finger if I need to put them down.

I put mine in one of two spots so I don't lose them in the clutter.

Posted on: 1/11 9:55

From Coopersburg
When I tie im not going for speed. I tie cause its fun and I enjoy it. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Posted on: 1/11 9:59

From Ferguson Twp.
Something just occurred to me, what hand are you all holding your scissors in? I keep mine in my left hand, not the bobbin hand. Didn't know if that might make a difference to anybody.

Posted on: 1/11 11:24

From Lancaster, PA
When I first started tying over 8 years ago I did not keep the scissors in my hands. After reading AK Best "Production Fly Tying" I thought I'd give it a try and I have never gone back.

I have tried multiple types of 'thread nippers,' but found the best is a product made by Wiss.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Wiss is a sewing company. These nippers are relatively inexpensive, but work great for cutting all materials. They stay sharp & the blades can be replaced or sharpened if needed. I usually use a pair of Dr. Slick hair scissors for dear hair or cutting zonkers, things that are a little tougher, but the Wiss nips will also cut these too. Here is a link to buy from Amazon: Wiss Thread Nips

I've gotten some similar nips at Joan Ann Fabrics - just their generic store brand and they worked great too. I have also tried Fiskars thread nips, which are ok, but the blades sometimes don't come together all that nice. Even if I don't have my thread nippers, I will generally keep my regular scissors in my hand.

To answer one of the other questions - I always have my scissors in my bobbin hand.

Posted on: 1/11 12:49

From Etters,Pa
Quote:

^^^ THIS ^^^

Posted on: 1/11 15:02

From Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
I tie with them in my hands most of the time. I keep them in my hand for the convenience of knowing where they are instead of speed. Like OP I tie for leisure.

Posted on: 1/11 15:54

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com