Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: School me on Midges

when you are standing in a riffle and u see swarms of what appears to be nats about a foot off the water , try to catch one , look at the color and match it , tie it on a 12" dropper to a size 14 tungsten bd head caddis and adjust indie to right depth , yes they work and very very well at times , the water will tell ya when to use em if you pay attention , i am a firl believer in that there is way more size 20 offering under water to a trout than there are size 14-16 , and trout feel more confident eating something tiny in my opinion , not many people use midges cause they are a pita , and some peoples eye sight will not allow them to fish them either

Posted on: 2010/5/4 21:06

From Bozeman
I did have one amazing day on midges at the tully. It was brutally cold in the middle of winter, and I caught countless fingerling stocked rainbows on a zebra midge a foot under strike putty. I also caught them on dries at the warmest part of the day.

They are killer on hay creek when the water gets a little low.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 21:19

From Central PA
I tied a few tonight at the end of my tying sesh. One was a 24-26 (not sure my hooks got mixed up, but it was TINY) and another was a 20. I got really tired so I just tied two. I tied a bunch of Jelly Rope Caddis Larvae, Greenie Weenies, and Eggs before that. I wish i wasnt so tired. I had AP Physics review today and a placement test for PSU, so I am WIPED. Tomorrow will bring more midges/flies I need to tie for this weekend.

I use a glass bead, black thread, and copper wire (tonight). SOme that I have made have had a little flashabou wing parachute type thing coming off the top. Tried fishing it today for a little, no luck. But I am going to continue to use it as a dropper off a fly I am confident with. I also tied a midge with a red hotspot.

I am tired, and that whole post didnt really have any meaning to it haha. Just talking

Posted on: 2010/5/4 22:28

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Pittsburgh
Oh native. I talked to my buddy today whos on the team. He said that since ya cnt use split shot in competitions, you have to use what they call anchors.(really heavy nymphs)
I have to tie some up tomorrow. Im thinking some large hares ears, stones, and whooly buggers all loaded with lead.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 23:40

From Chester County
Brookie,

This is a very popular anchor fly for heavy water. It gets you down and also catches fish. Good luck.

Posted on: 2010/5/5 6:44

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Midges we don't fish them much here the trout prefer real flies all season. 8-16 in size. Below the canyon then it changes. A few lakes here fish midges at times.

Posted on: 2010/5/5 7:04

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

From Central PA
Yeah I heard the same thing BrookieBuster. I need to practice tying on dropper rigs that arent on the bend of the hook. Need another day in this week. I work all week and have no time to tie or learn!

And afishinado, that looks like a good fly. I would have to explain to my parents why I have condoms in my room first though. They may get the wrong idea haha.

That guy who does the TPO fly tying, is he on here? Is he local?

Posted on: 2010/5/5 8:54

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Chester County
Quote:

NativeBrookie11 wrote:
Yeah I heard the same thing BrookieBuster. I need to practice tying on dropper rigs that arent on the bend of the hook. Need another day in this week. I work all week and have no time to tie or learn!

And afishinado, that looks like a good fly. I would have to explain to my parents why I have condoms in my room first though. They may get the wrong idea haha.

His name is Aaron Jasper. He's a fishing instructor/guide from Jersey. He specializing in Euro nymphing for the most part. His website is called Trout Predator Online (TPO). Here's the link: http://www.troutpredator.com/

Also, the Euro nymphing experts George Daniel from TCO in State college

http://www.flyfishingteamusa.com/team ... rs_2008/george_daniel.htm

and Loren Williams:

http://www.flyfishingteamusa.com/team ... s_2008/loren_williams.htm

Here is Loren's site:

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/

These guys are directly involved with Team USA and may actually be the one's teaching the youth team. Good luck.

BTW, tell your parents about the crazy flies (Vladi Worms) made from the pink condoms before you go out and buy any....lol.

Posted on: 2010/5/5 9:14

From Central PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

NativeBrookie11 wrote:

His name is Aaron Jasper. He's a fishing instructor/guide from Jersey. He specializing in Euro nymphing for the most part. His website is called Trout Predator Online (TPO). Here's the link: http://www.troutpredator.com/

Also, the Euro nymphing experts George Daniel from TCO in State college

http://www.flyfishingteamusa.com/team ... rs_2008/george_daniel.htm

and Loren Williams:

http://www.flyfishingteamusa.com/team ... s_2008/loren_williams.htm

Here is Loren's site:

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/

These guys are directly involved with Team USA and may actually be the one's teaching the youth team. Good luck.

BTW, tell your parents about the crazy flies (Vladi Worms) made from the pink condoms before you go out and buy any....lol.

I thought he mentioned Lorens name in one of the videos. I will be meeting Loren and George this weekend at the USA Clinic/Tryout.

And yeah, I will make sure they are aware that I am buying condoms for FLY TYING. haha

Posted on: 2010/5/5 10:59

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

i love tungsten bd head anchor flys of course in the color to match whats coming off , if there is more than one bug coming off then there is more than one fly fished , cut to the chase quicker ....

Posted on: 2010/5/5 22:24

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

As a previous poster said, that's Aaron Jasper. He's actually made an appearance on here once before to answer someone's question of czech-style nymphing, or whatever you're supposed to call it now.

Someone needs to light the Jasper signal, I think...

Posted on: 2010/5/5 22:31

From Central PA
I agree. I made a thread on czech stuff a week ago

Posted on: 2010/5/5 22:33

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

Guys,

I apologize for not seeing this. If any of you need to get a hold of me about a question on here or in general my e mail is aaron1276@aol.com.

I would be more than happy to help anyone out. My reply might lag a few days as we are finishing the editing process on the nymphing dvd and are getting ready to copyright it and send it out for duplication.

I thought the "Jasper" light was funny ;)

Posted on: 2010/11/25 23:48

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

AaronJasper wrote:
I thought the "Jasper" light was funny ;)

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2010/11/26 0:08

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
Native: why waste your money on condoms when you can get them free from your high school guidance counselor?

But seriously, you can do alot of damage with a size 18 Stewart's Black Spider (aka Bailey's Black Spider). I've found there's no real need to go any smaller than that. Use a fine wire hook and tie the body short if you think your fly looks too big. But remember to palmer the starling hackle at least half the length of the body. For the body material I use Pearsalls Gossamer Silk in brown. When the trout are sipping midges in a glassy pool, this usually works.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 7:28

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
30 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com