RS2?

jerseygeorge

jerseygeorge

Is anyone tying or fishing the RS2? It is obviously a very simple to tie fly, and there are times when fish are sipping on small olive emergers that I can see it being a very effective pattern.

I do wonder how difficult it is to keep it floating. Any users?

VIDEO

Website from the designer.

http://www.rs2fly.com

I haven't used it, however I can't imagine it's any more difficult to keep floating than any other 22 emerger. I'd use CDC there though.

I like the way he splits those tails! Looks quicker, easier and better than the dubbing ball method I use. Definitely learned a trick there!

I've never used the RS2, but I have used a fly that is similar.
For the wing-post put dubbing on the thread (as if to dub), then squish it down (which creates a ball) wrap around the shank and them the ball to prop it up. this resembles a cripple as well has an emerging dun.

I too like the way the tails are split in that video.

Tied 'em, tried 'em, lost 'em, never made more.

Yes, I meant to comment on the way he splits the tail. I leave the end of the thread hanging off the back of fly, and bring a single strand between and tie it down, pretty much the same technique. Of course I am using the tag end, that he breaks off early in the tie. But I do like the way he does it. Often after I split the tail I put a micro drop of crazy glue or head cement directly on the split. It makes a nice finished product and the tail keeps it's split nicely. Nothing like a good split tail.

JG

Juan ties some nice flies. I've tied his hopper juan and I like his web site too.
Thanks for posting the video.

I've tried the tag end of the thread, but it doesn't make it as nice as his...have to try it with the piece looped around, I have the feeling that's better.

I've began fishing the RS2 out-west quite a while ago and tied some up to fish them in PA streams. I've caught fish on them, but have not had great results, but it is a decent baetis emerger pattern. IMO, easy to tie and worth having in your box.

They float in the film okay as is, or you can use floatant to keep them near the top. Rim Chung, the inventor of the pattern fishes them in the film as well as below the surface.

Don't know about the RS-2.
But I came across a guy on the Green River in Utah, who was just hammering fish on a fly called a WD-40. A small. very sparkly fly, that I believe is supposed to imitate a Baetis nymph.
Anyway, this guy was quite an entrepreneur. He was just moving around catching fish. And when someone would ask what he was using, he would tell them, and casually remark that he was also selling them. My buddy bought a few off him, and also did quite well with them. Not my style of course

i have used and tied rs2's i usually do the tails my own way for the post ill use something bouyant like poly yarn i have done ok on them stockies like em i like the onlive ones and black ones all the way up to a size 14 on top but i never really hammered fish on them takes were sporadic and i usually get turn aways when using them too i found that a generic nymph on top with floatant on the wing case only work better..... but thats my opinion

I have tied a bunch of the RS2 and I have had mixed results with them. When I used to fish Valley Creek alot, there would be days when the BWOs/Beatis/midges were coming off pretty heavy and this was a decent fly to use when trying to immitate the smallest naturals. Sometimes the VC browns would only hit the tiny immitations and this fly would get them, but hooking a fish on a size 22 can be tough. I have tied them down to a 24, but those are a pain in the @ss to tie and fish.

I have also tied/fished the WD-40 before with decent results. The way I have fished this before is as an emerger for BWOs/beatis in the surface film. When I tied these in the past I used a very small piece of foam on the body/head to give it some float and then dubb over it. This small bit of foam keeps it right where I want it, which is in the surface film or just below.

I've never had a whole lot of luck with any emerger pattern , i tie them and i fish them once in awhile but..........what i usually do if i think the fish are keying on the emerging version of the insect is just let the dry fly i'm using get a little waterlogged by not drying it out with alot of false casts in between and even let it fully sink with maybe six inches of leader under , this seems to work better for me than switching to an emerger. To borrow from Leonard Wright again , it's that last second , where the insect is coming out of his skin gettin ready to go airborn when they are the most vulnerable to the fish and the fish know it.

Osprey- I probably catch more on emergers than on traditional dries! With mayfly hatches I am an emerger and comparadun type of guy...

im with you george i like emergers better.... this spring im going to try to transition more to dries i would like to add that my favorite emergers are pt emergers if intrested here it is

I beleive you folks , don't get me wrong , i have friends who swear by them for mayflies and caddis , it's not you it's me , emergers have withstood the test of time , they wouldn't still be around if they didn't work. It's the test of osprey they are havin trouble with and sometimes i'm just stubborn.

I beleive you folks , don't get me wrong , i have friends who swear by them for mayflies and caddis , it's not you it's me , emergers have withstood the test of time , they wouldn't still be around if they didn't work. It's the test of osprey they are havin trouble with and sometimes i'm just stubborn.

JG- Used it for a week straight 90% of the time in 11 Mile Canyon and Cheesman the first week of October a few years ago.

Highly effective fly there!

Back