Rotary Vises

Coughlin

Coughlin

I currently have an Anvil Apex, which I like. It holds hooks from 7/0 to 32 with no problem and while not a true rotary, does turn so I can view the fly all around. But I read an article in this latest Flytyer by Mike Holt which caught my interest. Holt claims that even folks with rotarys often use them as if they were stationary and offers a couple of intriguing techniques in his article.

So my question is, While the rotarys really look neat, is there a distinct advantage to a rotary vise in [color=003333]tying[/color] flies and is there any significant diffeence between various models?
Thanks
Coughlin

I started tying with a cheap Thomson stationary vise a long time ago, and graduated to a Regal. That worked well for a few years, until I stopped into my local fly shop and watched someone tie on a Renzetti rotary vise. I tried it in the store and bought a Renzetti Traveler that day. I’ve tied thousands of flies on the Renzetti and have never looked back.

The rotary vise works well for an advanced or professional tyer, but they could probably tie well using vise grips. A rotary vise. IMO, really makes a journeymen or beginning tyer improve immediately. It will improve the appearance and ease of dubbing, ribbing, palmering, hackling, and makes it easy to work on flies that need to be rotated in the tying process. For example, the common problem of the hackle twisting when you try to hackle a traditional Catskill fly or palmer hackle a wooly bugger is eliminated, since you can hold the hackle feather perpendicular and rotate the fly in the vise. Another advantage to a rotary vise is that using the bobbin cradle keeps the thread and bobbin out of the way during certain tying steps.

I like my Renzetti, but there are other quality rotary vises out there.

Afishinado,
Thanks, that's a really clear description of the advantages.
Coughlin

Coughlin,
just remember your apex is not a true rotary. A true rotary has the hook shank even with the tip of the jaws and when you spin it there will be no wobble in the shank. not all rotarys can do this.on the other hand you can turn yours to look or tie at different views..Mike holt is talking about true rotary's in his article...

Sandfly,
Yes, I understand that. Anvil advertises the Apex as an "in-line" rotery, which I take to mean rotates at the angle of the vise head, which mine does.

So, do you have a true rotary vise? If so what brand, and do you think it offers a significant tying advantage?
Coughlin

Coughlin:

I recently upgrade my vise. I purchased a Danica Danvise it is a full rotary. It has improved the quality of my flies 100%. Wrapping anything on the hook is so much easier. It was about $80.00. I was using a 15.00 no name vise that I got years ago when I started.

My flies are still crappy, but less so.

I recently purchased the Griffen Odessy Cam. It was a little pricy, btu I am pleased. I used to tie on a $15 vise that was fully adjustable, and it worked for many years and hundreds of flies. I would still be using it if the jaws didn't wear out.
Not much has changed since I bought my new vise. Flies still look the same, and didn't cut down on the amount of time it takes to tie a fly, like I previously thought. However, it is nicer to tie on than my old vise. Plus, every once in a while you have to spoil yourself -- the main reason bought mine.

The next time I buy a vise, it would probably be a Regal. they are full rotary and thre are no screws, bolts, bell, or whistles in order to change hook sizes. You simple open the jaws and place in a hook and it is held tight. All of the professionals I'v seen tie use one. The only downfall is the vises are so ugly.

MKern,
Isn't that interesting. I, too, have noticed that the tyers at shows and on videos almost always seem to be tying on a regal. And you're right...it is one ugly looking thing :-D

Think I'm going to take the plunge. Looks like I can get a good deal on a Montana Mongoose. I agree with MKern that my flies probably won't look much better, but it is time for a new toy!
Coughlin

Might want to check out this site:
http://rotaryflytying.com/

#6, thanks. Neat stuff!
Coughlin

I use a Regal vise and love it. Yes they are ugly but so are my flies. They hold a hook and you don't need to adjust any little screws to get the jaws set to hold a hook. Grab a lever open the jaws and let them go and they will hold the hook.

Coughlin ,Did you get the Griffin Mongoose or the Renzetti ? I am looking to buy my first Quality vise and I was Looking at the traveler or the Mongoose vises . And I can't decide wich one to buy.I start my one month series(one a week) of Fly tying clases at the Sporting Gentleman this tuesday and wanted to have a new vise by the 2nd class. Any info would be helpful

Thanks Fredrick :-D

Fred - I've used both of those vises, and prefer the Traveller Cam. Add the material spring, and a couple of 19 cent spare o-rings (from Home Depot), and you're set for life........Ed

I use at least 4 different vices, some rotary and some not, depending on what I'm tying..I had a anvil and sold it to a custermer, and have to get another i really like that one, plus the renzetti travler..both are worth their money..

Fredrick,
I got a good deal on the Mongoose so that's the direction I went. I'm happy with it. Here's the only catch, there's an arm that comes down from the pivot on the post that is rather wide. It's there to allow a sliding material clip, which can be convenient when working with shortish material. The problem is that there's less clearance behind the hook because of the arm, and I've had to get used to that. The jaws can be pivoted up so you have free room behind the hook but then you loose the 360 rotating function. As i say, I have gotten used to it and like the vise a lot. Don't know about the traveller.
Coughlin

I've been using the Renzetti rotary vise for about 14 years now, and though most of the time I don't use the rotary feature, I'm using more every year. It took me a while to get used to using it as a rotary.

Chaz,
It does take some getting used to, doesn't it. But once reasonably proficient with the thing it does make some operations like dubbing, palmering and the such not just easier but so much more precise. I will say, though that I still haven't gotten used to the bobbin cradle. Most of the time I just throw a half hitch in the front and wind the bobbin up while I'm rotating the vise.
Coughlin

Back