Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Red Quill vs Quill Gordon

Is the only difference between these two flies the body material? I am tying up some early season dries and from what I can find online it just seems to be a difference between a peacock quill and a brown hackle stem. I have seen some recipes that call for grizzly hackle instead of dun hackle. I guess it might make sense to have some of both in the fly box.

Posted on: 2008/3/2 10:34

Re: Red Quill vs Quill Gordon

there isnt much difference in the materials of the 2 flies but they are two seperate flies. if i remember correctly the red quill is the male to the hendrickson which is the female. they are around a size 14. i use red/ rusty dubbing for the red quill.
the quill gordon is a seperate species to the red quill. the quill gordon is generally bigger (size 12) than the hendrickson. / red quill.
in general, alot of streams have both species, but there are some stream that have one or the other. if you are on a stream where the trout are picky, you would want the right pattern. (penns, fishing creek, etc.)
i think i have this right. if i have anything worng let me know.

Posted on: 2008/3/2 11:09

Re: Red Quill vs Quill Gordon

From Pittsburgh
Yes - they're pretty much the same, other than body color -
gray wings, dun hackle, and gray tails on #14 hook
I gave up using stripped peacock quill and hackle stems for bodies long ago, however. A pain in the a$$ to tie with, and very fragile. Usually starts unraveling after catching a few fish.
I use rusty red dubbing for the red quill, and tannish gray dubbing for the quill gordon.
I have come across a lot more hendricksons than quill gordons, but I do carry both

Posted on: 2008/3/2 21:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com