Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Rabbit Strip Streamer Question

From Bel Air, MD
I looked first, both in this forum and on the interwebs, but I could not find what I was looking for. I seem to recall someone discussing a streamer tied with nothing but a rabbit strip - tie it in at the rear for a tail, then palmer it up to a cone head, and tie it off. Does this ring a bell? It's kind of like a slump buster bunny leach thing, but for the life of me I can't find it. Am I imagining it, or has anyone tied something like this. Looking for a picture or instructions - I tried it, but just couldn't get it to look right.

Posted on: 2013/8/24 0:41

Re: Rabbit Strip Streamer Question

From Pittsburgh
I tie pretty much exactly what you described for steelhead. I tried jazzing it up with krystal flash or a hackle collar but always go back to just a rabbit strip, cone, and a hook. Cream colored rabbit is my favorite and it'll fish well on a dead drift or a swing.

I keep a small cup of water at my vise and use it to stroke the rabbit back as I wind it forward. Tie it off behind the cone and fish. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

Posted on: 2013/8/24 2:24

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Just using the zonker strip and wrapping it around the shank of the hook is called a bunny leech.

For salmon and steel I just use a piece of zonker about twice the size of the shank of the hook, tie it in at the bend, tie in chenille and wrap to head, then tie in top of zonker strip. I usually use cone heads or large beads.

Posted on: 2013/8/24 17:28

You can also wrap on a body of estaz, then tie on the rabbit strip at the hook eye and just behind the body. Also can then tie in a collar of mallard flank, and a bit of red hackle just behind the hook eye for gills. All white or all chartreuse work well as estaz/rabbit strip colors. I lead wrap the hook shank first and don't bother with a cone. Good for trout and smallmouth.

Posted on: 2013/8/24 19:14

Here's a bunny leech using that technique, though I also added a FlyMen Fish Skull head at the front:

TC

Posted on: 2013/8/24 22:08

Feel free to also check out my fly tying tutorials here:

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

From Bel Air, MD
That's what I was looking for. Knew I would find out here. .. always do. Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/8/24 22:53

From North Wales, PA
Thanks for the great video on that rabbit streamer. I got to tie a few of those up!

Posted on: 2013/9/1 0:30

From Delaware Co.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 8:22

You got it, Chris; now the more important question: Did you catch any fish on them yet?!?!

TC

Posted on: 2013/9/1 17:28

Feel free to also check out my fly tying tutorials here:

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

From Lancaster
Here is a sculpin pattern that I tie using rabbit strip. I did throw in a few strands of black krystal flash on both sides of the tail and I tied in two clumps of brown marabou just behind the sculpin helmet for pectoral fins. I tied it on a size 8 4XL streamer hook that rides hook up with the point totally covered by the palmered rabbit strip. The head is a Fish Skull Sculpin Helmet - Size - small in olive. I also wrap some heavy lead wire on the hook before palmering the rabbit strip so this fly sinks like a rock and stays on the bottom where the sculpins hang out.

Attach file:

jpg  Bunny Sculpin 003.jpg (25.15 KB)
6132_52249ccf3d13a.jpg 448X308 px

Posted on: 2013/9/2 10:14

From North Wales, PA
TC,

The other question would be how can you NOT catch trout on that streamer! I betcha it would make a nice saltwater pattern as well!

Chris

Posted on: 2013/9/2 13:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com