Quills

F

Flydog

I recently attended A.K. Best tying class at the tying show a few weeks back. As we all know he ties mostly quill bodies. He introduced the class to a quill body using turkey flats. There appears to be two types of turkey flat, the T-base and one that is mostly consists of the marabou feathers. Any way he uses the more marabou feather. The quills are stripped of all feathers and dyed to match the desired color. I tried it.......the quills split several times. Now when we tied them in AK's class they tied great and looked great.
Any one used a turkey flat quill? Any ideas why mine split as I was tying ( I did soak them in water)? Could have the bleach or dye make the quill brittle to split?

I have had this happen to me. In my situation, I believe it was the age of the quill. The more popular colors didn't break (because of their frequent ordering), but the less traditional colors were more brittle. I think self life plays a role.

It's been so long since I monkeyed around with quills, I'm not sure I remember this right or not. I think so though.. Although I'm sure that age of the quills is a factor in brittleness, I'm also pretty certain that the bleaching process dries them out and also contributes.

I always kept my quills in a jar full of water. Little bit of as pain in the willie, but I think it made a difference. At one time, I also had a formula around here somewhere for a glycerin-based solution to store them in that makes them as limp as overdone pasta, but doesn't affect their strength.

That's what I remember, anyway...

I always soak mine in water until they soften before tying.

Back