Prince Nymph

FlyGuyFromPa

FlyGuyFromPa

First, I'd like to say this was the very fist one I've tied. I'd also like to say constructive feedback/criticism is welcome. Anything I could have/do differently to make this look better? Thanks in advance for the input. I only had size 12 hooks left (need to get more) so that's what I tied it on.

Attachments

• Prince.jpg
    Prince.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 16
Looks good for your first try. Only thing I could see would be less wraps of thread near the hook eye. Less is better most of the time.

Less thread and a dab of head cement will hold it all together.

When I was taught to tie, I was taught to build up the head so it's somewhat even with the size of the fly. Is this something for this specific fly, or something I don't need to do on any fly? Thanks for the advise Becker.

I have never ever heard that before, but I am by no means an expert. I will tell you, that you do not have to with this fly.

I suppose everyone has their own methods of doing things. I will tie some with a smaller head to see how they look. Thread last a while, but if I can save more thread, I won't have to buy it as much. Thanks for the advise Becker. Is there anything else on this fly that looks wrong? Anything I can do to improve it?

Some people think you should build up a sort of head, but (no offense) that is not fitting for the size of the fly. The head on nymphs should at most be the same size as the eye of the hook. Keep it small, don't crowd the eye.

No offense taken, Gaeronf. I appreciate any sort of advise and criticism (healthy or no) regarding my work. I don't want to be mediocre when it comes to trying. I want to be great at tying. Does this go with all flies, or just nymphs? Should my heads be around the same size for every fly? Learning how to tie in the Winter is great, since I don't go out much in the cold. I don't mind cold weather, I just prefer it not be cold AND windy, which seems to be the trend lately when it's cold outside.

Typically the thread head for all flies should be small.

On almost all my flies I like small heads. Throw a quick search into google "fly tying nymphs" or something like that. If you notice, the ones without beads have small thread heads. The original purpose of building up a thread head was to close the eye of the hook, because there used to be decent gaps in the eye (or so I have been told).

Thanks again for the info. I'll tie some more with smaller heads tomorrow and post them. I tied that based off a written article, a Google image, and the rest of it was knowledge my friend passed on to me. I guess the bigger head thing is personal preference? I've seen pictures of smaller heads, but I followed what I was taught.

I agree the head is oversized, but that's easy enough to fix. Your biots look pretty good, and that is what most people struggle with, so I think your on the right track here. One hopefully helpfull suggestion you didn't ask for, find a better background for you next photo. Maybe it's just me, but I can't really see much detail on the coin. Good job with the fly!
Mike.

To build it up means it is tapered toward the middle of the hook, ie, thin at the eye, thicker at the hackle/wing. The tail is a bit long and the wings a bit short. Thread is the wrong color perhaps because there's no glue on it.
It's all relative, because it will probably catch fish.

FrequentTyer, Thanks on that, and I'll try to use a better background next time around.

Chaz, I like longer tails on my flies, not too long, just a bit longer than what is considered "normal", but I'll try to shorten them and see how they come out. As for the wings, how long should they be? The thread I used was one that I thought would look better than yellow, red, or orange. Other than that the brown is all I have that remotely looks decent. I'm unemployed, so the gathering of materials is slow for me at the moment. There are still lots of things I need/want that I don't have money for at the moment. Slowly, I will build it all up. Thanks for the input. I do have some black thread, but it frays like crazy. It doesn't have a number on it, but I'm thinking it MIGHT be floss? I'll try the black tomorrow and see what happens. Pics to follow.

Chaz is right that the thread color is not the standard used on this pattern, but given the same pattern catches fish with various colored balls on its head makes me believe that it is not important. That thread looks like a light brown or tan which is a pretty versatile color for tying. If you are really worried about it, you could always run a sharpie on the last few inches before whip finishing to change the color. I rarely use anything but 8/0 light tan or 8/0 black. I've got a ton of other colors, but for most trout flys tied to fish, those two do the job.
Mike.

I agree with all that has been said. I alway put some kind of head on my flies as well. Most of the time its beads. ;)

I your biot placement is good but I like mine to be a little smaller, unless the larger head shrunk the body a bit. Looking at it if it were to have a smaller head the proportions should be decent then.

That fly will catch fish though. Good job on your first one.

A few woven body prince nymph variations
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/hbhager/MVC-030S.jpg
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/hbhager/MVC-029S.jpg
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/hbhager/MVC-028S.jpg

Wow beadhead. Don't laugh too hard at the flies I sent you. You should get them by tomorow.

I admit I find Princes a bit of a pain to make them look right.

Davy Mcphail makes it look easy as usual, on a regular shank hook no less, though even he is relying on cement to some extent to keep it together at the head.

Davie McPhail ties Flashback Prince Nymph

He is more easily understood on headphones, by the way.

I never laugh at anybodys flies
It took me a long time to get where mine are and also a good teacher( LM)
I still have a long ways to go !!!!!!!!!

henry tie me 2 doz. of that purple prince, I'll trade for material.

Back