Pine Special

echuck66

echuck66

I was reading one of my back issues of Eastern Fly Fishing about Pine Creek where Sandfly was mentioned (and pictured). The author mentioned a pattern called a "Pine Special".

My question is, how effective is this pattern and what time of year is it best suited for?

Don't know. Never used it. Fished the Pine as long as I've been fishin, and I never heard of the Pine Special til I read that very same article!

THIS is the real Pine Creek Special tied by the gentleman that invented it. It's a great pattern that works well and has been a standby on the upper reaches of the Pine for many years.

Attachments

• PineCreekSpecialv.jpg
    PineCreekSpecialv.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 10
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 11
Those MBs are big on "the Pine".

You know it! The Pine produces the big flies, no doubt.

Festus, they look quite different from the other picture that was on the other site. Is there a published 'recipe' for this fly?

I think so, but I will have to dig it up. The Pine Creek Special is tied to imitate the Green Drake. Not the March Brown.

Couldn't view Sandfly's pic on the link posted, but the one Festus postedisn't what I know as the Pine Creek Special.

The Pine Creek Special was originally developed by the late Russ Mowry. It was later tied for Slate Run Tackle Shop and is still available there. The pattern Festus posted looks like the original pattern.

The ones Festus posted look more like the picture in the article I mentioned in Eastern Fly Fishing than the one on the other site did.

Both look like nice flies, but the one Festus posted looks the most like what I saw in the magazine article.

considering you can watch him tie it there and the results is festus' fly; i'm going to go with old lefty and festus on this one.

The truth of the matter is, that with a slight change of the wing, which I believe calls for furnace on the original, this pattern can be scaled down to March Brown proportions and used extremely effectively during the March Brown hatch.

I couldn't dig up the recipe, but if memory serves me right, the MAC mag had this fly featured by somebody about 4-5 years ago. I cut that article out and saved it and when I get home I'm going to dig it out. In the meantime, here is a foam winged version that I sometimes use. To be honest, I fish very few dries during the green Drake and lean towards a GD Wiggle Nymph and of all things, a big Brown Hackle Peacock with a silver bead in the thorax and do much better fooling those "surface" feeding fish that are so selective during the hatch and spinner fall.

Attachments

• gd3-1.jpg
    gd3-1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 6
Here are the Pine Specials

Attachments

• 1-26-2014 10-09-26 AM.jpg pine special.jpg
    1-26-2014 10-09-26 AM.jpg pine special.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 4
Russ came out with the pine creek special in GD, MB, and one other I can't remember as a dry. I came up with the pine creek special (WET) to imitate the march brown and grey fox. then I was shown the pine creek special bucktails that beadhead posted from a guy in Galeton. They seem to work on the stockies in pine.

Festus has it right. I have an original fly given to my father by Russ himself of his pine creek special. Its made with the wings spent forward. It's made to mimic a green drake parachute variation.

I only have a dozen of them that usually last me all year. its a pain in the butt to tie to get it correct.

I will tie that on as my strike indicator and trail it with an emerger of whatever it hatching and its absolutely devastating on Pine.

if I can find a picture of one of them I will, otherwise i'll snap a pic tonight after work.

Also, Fly fishers paradise in State College will be able to tie them up for you as well if you cannot. They are a bit salty in price but that's nothing compared to the time invested in each tie

Slinger

Here ya go:

Pine Creek Special

FWIW - Fred Bridge is/was Russ Mowry's Brother-in law.

http://flytyingworld.com/PagesF/fredbridge.htm

Heritage- that's the fly but the materials are wrong. The originals call ffor a different recipe but if you want something similar that's as close as it gets

Back