Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle

dc410

dc410

The fishing soft hackle thread in the General Forum has gotten my wheels really turning over the past week or two. I have been stocking up my box with some of my favorite soft hackle patterns in preparation for this spring. The idea shared about using cdc for the soft hackle material is something that I never tried before. So while sitting at the vise tonight and tying up my normal PT soft hackle patterns I added a strand of green flashabou and a type 1 black cdc feather and here is the Soft Hackle cdc Pheasant Tail flashback. Something a little different but I am looking forward to given this one try.

Attachments

• S.H. PT flashback cdc.jpg
    S.H. PT flashback cdc.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 7
Looks good. George Daniels has a bunch of these cdc soft hackle patterns in his book Dynamic Nymphing. I haven't tied any because I don't like buying cdc - it's so expensive! Or it feels that way anyway... Maybe I'm just cheap.

Great fly to share! I really like including cdc on a number of patterns, especially caddis pupa. The material is a special one and gives some extra movement in the current. I typically will either place the cdc in a dubbing loop or simply attach it by the tips. I tend to only make a couple turns of the cdc, but I am in the "less is more" camp a lot when it comes to using most materials.

Thanks again for sharing,

Tim

Looks very nice. I do a similar fly. The only thing I do different is put the cdc collar in front of the bead. It tends to hold the fibers out more when wet. Nice tie.

GenCon

Looks good. George Daniels has a bunch of these cdc soft hackle patterns in his book Dynamic Nymphing. I haven't tied any because I don't like buying cdc - it's so expensive! Or it feels that way anyway... Maybe I'm just cheap.

try Cul-de-Chicken works the same still mats up and you have to dry it the same. It's water proof though. sells for around $9.00 but its the whole Butt of the chicken.

Nice looking softie John, I keep meaning to tie some soft hackled nymphs with that but I keep getting distracted by other flies, as usual. :)

Huh. Never heard of cul de chicken... Where do you buy that? I found one source online...

Its basically a treated "chickabou" feather.

Instead of buying more crap, just use an aftershaft/philoplume feather.

http://singlebarbed.com/2009/03/16/philoplumes-and-the-shaft-after/

Back