Peeping Caddis pattern.

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I am really happy with the looks of this pattern. I am thinking of using the "Breadcrust" that was discussed earlier as the cased part on some of them as well. The flies I tied this morning consisted of a bead, some lead wire, inch worm foam bodies, (with head and legs colored with permanent marker) Hungarian partridge hackle and grey squirrel dubbing. Really easy, but they look pretty good. I did use some vevus pearl ribbing on one, but not sure I Like it yet.

I am thinking this will be a killer pattern for me this year. I did a few this morning and think they turned out ok. I don't really tie with soft hackle too often, so that will be the thing I will be working on the most.

I am wondering how long you all make the soft hackle fibers at the end. I know that caddis cases vary significantly, and it may not be that big of an issue, but I am really working at getting proper proportions down this year.

I was thinking that antron yarn, or polypropolene is the more excepted peeping material but I just wanted to give it a go with the foam. I don't tie many inch worms anyway ;)

Any other thoughts on materials for this pattern?

Any other variations I should look at?

Anyone have success with the peeping caddis pattern?

"Peeking" ;-)

heard it called both ways. I like my caddis to peep LOL

I like Gary La Fontaine's Cased Caddis pattern for species that use pebbles or sand.

Most of the streams I have fished I have seen more sticks than anything. Saw some rather big ones in the first fork. My family keeps some on the first day and have never seen any of the fish with the larger ones inside them.

Here's a whole bunch of pics from Google to give you some good ideas. Some really good flies and some really bad flies in the pics.

Peeking Caddis

Peeping caddis

Breadcrust

BTW, I've found the LaFountain Caddis pattern to work very well also.

If I tied just one, it would be the Breadcrust pattern. It is a proven fish catcher, so I would tie some up for this coming season. Good luck.

Mike, a good general rule is for the soft hackle to extend to the bend of the hook, but a little shorter or a little longer never hurt a soul.

Here's a picture of a march brown flymph I just tied

IMG_0707.jpg

My cased caddis pattern is just peacock wrapped the whole length of the shank with a few turns of hungarian partridge at the eye. It works.

I wouldn't use foam and weight on the same fly, seems like you're fighting yourself. Partridge or hen hackle would be too long, I use a few turns of ostrich or emu. Google cased caddis and try to get something to look like the pictures. Regular old pheasant tail or even dyed pheasant tail makes a passable body material and isn't buoyant.

Here is what I came up with at lunch. I was thinking foam was a bad idea and the post above brought that home. I brought some medium chenille with me to work. I still need to melt the head of the chenille. Cant really do that in the office. I will still play with the pattern. These are a bit bigger at a size 10 but came out ok. .20 lead free wire, with a 3.8mm tungsten bead the ought to get down.

Used the patridge for the "sticks" and squirrel dubbing for the case. A little gold ribbing to hold it together. I bet this would catch fish.

I like the black but I think the olive is a bit nicer looking. I will let the fish decide. I love using squirrel dubbing.

Attachments

• peeping caddis.jpg
    peeping caddis.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 8
Marrio66pens

Thanks fort he tip, That will come in handy when I break into soft hackles like you have posted. I also like you used the term flymph. Don't hear a lot of guys using that term.

Eric Stroup tying peeking caddis

http://s870.photobucket.com/user/hbhager/media/1-28-201410-10-29PMmp4peekingcaddis_zps11205d78.mp4.html
Sorry video will not play
Mods please delete this post

If anyone would like to see the video ,pm me and give me your email address ,and I will email the video to you

This is something I've been doing for years, since I was shown. Instead of tossing the cut off material from flies keep a gallon size Ziploc bag handy and toss it in there. This includes any synthetics but end of hackle whatever. Once you've amassed enough put it in a dubbing loop run it up the hook, trim to your liking. Have the little guy peeking out with some legs and your good.

mario66pens wrote:
Mike, a good general rule is for the soft hackle to extend to the bend of the hook, but a little shorter or a little longer never hurt a soul.

Here's a picture of a march brown flymph I just tied

IMG_0707.jpg

My cased caddis pattern is just peacock wrapped the whole length of the shank with a few turns of hungarian partridge at the eye. It works.
Nice looking tie Brian.

When I tied these I would find empty cases or extract the caddis out and then spray with adhesive.
Easy way to get a case.

Turkey tail wrapped like a PT looks a lot like a wood pulp case too.

I tie this pattern. It came to me while fishing the Beaverkill and on a hot spot tag kick. Next day fishing the BK it annihilated for 2 friends and I. Has worked wherever there has been a large population of cased caddis.

Attachments

• IMG_20131021_133247_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker.jpg
    IMG_20131021_133247_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 6
a suggestion i would have would be to taper the casing. in my experience tapering the casing similar to those in the river will catch more fish

Backed to the length of the soft hackle fibers, in GD's book, the fibers are a hook shank in length. The same for peter gathercole's book. The chenille head seems to be a hook gap in length.

Hope that helped.

Great looking tie becker.

I need to look into those style of hooks. Look like you would get some serious penetration with those.

Can you reference me what brand and model that is.

ummm, those are jigs Shane. Ice fishing for perch?

Back