Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Ostrich Challenge and Hope You'll Help

From Woodstock, MD
What do you do with ostrich herl? I have black, tan, pink, white, and olive. I don't have a lot of ideas. The pink i was thinking of making an attractor pattern.i made a couple of fuzzy caterpillars in tan with a TMC r200 hook.

All ideas are appreciated. This group is one of the most helpful on the web.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 12/12 21:46

Re: Ostrich Challenge and Hope You'll Help

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Ray Charles

Posted on: 12/12 22:24

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

I have used the olive to make a fresh water shrimp pattern. The herl, few strands of wood duck fibers front and rear and shell back are a simple tie. I use gray or natural for a sow bug.

Posted on: 12/12 22:26

From United States
There was a fellow (never met him) Nick Niclaus, I beleive was his name. He moved to the West from the Big Pine Valley. He created a series of emerger patterns using ostrich for the thorax. McConnels country store would be a good resource for recipes. I have used them for the last 20 years (guessing) and they are dynamite. I admire the creativity that it takes to create such ingenious patterns. I can't tie them nearly as beautiful and good thing the trout don't care. I have watched insects hatch as the vacate the nymphal shuck. The thorax area of the shuck as the insect pops out the top glows just for a second as it becomes hollow. I believe that the herl may imitate this well.
Thorax areas of flies and nymph gills. Young man, don't feel like walking to my shelf, wrote a book called Mayflies top to bottom There is an ostrich herl nymph there that I have had success with. If I remember right though it is time consuming.

Posted on: 12/12 23:30
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From Delaware Co.
Tie up some Yank's Assassins

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 12/13 0:38

From Ransom, Pennsylvania
you could also put it into a dubbing loop and us it as a really long hackle...

Posted on: 12/13 1:00

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
midges. use an eraser and get all the fuzz of it and it makes great midge body when wrapped a hook. you can use it for a more natural segmentation in a larger fly as well. kinda like gold wire for a PT.

you can use it for streamer patterns. its very fluid when wet. get creative you could probably do a ton of things with it.

Posted on: 12/13 1:17

From Norwich, CT

Posted on: 12/13 5:53

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

http://www.danica.com/flytier/nfrechette/nfrechette.htm

From Lancaster
Look up Murray's lead eye Hellgrammite by Harry Murray. The tail calls for strands of black ostrich herl. It has real nice movement and is a lot more durable than I expected. I caught a lot of smallies on that pattern last summer.

Posted on: 12/13 7:06

From Ohio
Streamers! Intruder style flies or use the ostrich in a wooly bugger as the tail a la Harry Murray style.

Posted on: 12/13 7:13

From Ephrata, PA
Cress and sow bugs!

Posted on: 12/13 8:25

From Butler, Pa
Use it as a thorax on a PT. You won't be disappointed.

Posted on: 12/13 19:32

From Newville, PA
I tie midge mergers using herl for the body in the same way you tie peacock on a griffiths gnat. The extended fibers allow the fly to ride just right in the surface film. I tie them in white, cream, grey, and olive in sizes 18-24.

Posted on: 12/13 19:48

From Dallastown, PA
Gene,

All great responses/ideas for use of Ostrich Herl. You are right about these guys, I would have never thought there could be so many uses.

One such use is the head area of the Casual Dress Nymph pattern. Kind of a walts worm with a tail and black head. Cigar shaped and deadly on spring creeks.

But since no one mentioned it I will, Ostrich herl is the single LEAST durable material in fly tying/fly fishing. This stuff breaks on a sneeze. So as with peacock herl, ostrich herl when used as a material in fly tying should be reinforced with counter wraps of thread, wire or when used as a tail or streamer wing have enough fibers added to allow for some "wear" without loss of appearance when used.

I stay away from it.

Oh, and most of those beautiful salmon flies that Eunan ties use ostrich herl to book end the body on the shank. I don't know the name of that part of the fly, sorry.

Posted on: 12/14 9:46

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I personally think that ostrich hurl is the best representative for gills on a nymph. It flows and breathes just like the natural gills. I've used it for patterns on my drake nymphs, but I think it should be used in more patterns. But like Jack said, it's brittle so counter wrapping with wire is important.

Posted on: 12/14 13:04

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
46 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com