Olive Hares Ear nymph

jkilroy

jkilroy

Just curious, how many of you fly fishers use and have success with the olive hares ear nymph? It's that time of the year where I'm cleaning out the box to make room from the new and improved.

I used to fish them quite a bit, but lately they haven't been getting tied on. They used to work well in the quite, but that's a stocked fishery. Freshly stocked fish don't care about flies, they are gluttons. I'm tempted to cut up the good ones I have tied on the costly jug hooks. I have better use for those hooks.

What do the represent for life in streams? I can see a brown and natural hares ear but those?

I carry hares ear in brown, dark brown, olive, grey, black, rusty brown, covers all the nymphs out there. there are lots of olive shaded nymphs.

The olive hares ears are always in my box. Suggest cutting the mask in half and trading for something you don't have, but need. May kill two birds with one stone.

I tie and use hairs ears in, brown, olive. gray and natural. Use the same colors in soft hackles as well.

GC

Ya gotta have the little mottled olive fella.

Back