Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Olive grizzly hackle

From Lehigh Valley, PA
I recently got a good deal on olive grizly dry fly hackle in sizes 10, 12, and 14. I'm haveing trouble coming up withuseful patterns that call for this hackle. Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2007/8/7 13:13

Re: Olive grizzly hackle
From Monessen, PA
Not such a good deal afterall, eh? The larger hackles might be useful to tie bass poppers. You could palmer olive and green and even white wooly buggers with these and maybe even use the largest hackles for wings on a green drake or tails and fins on sculpin patterns.

You can also use it to palmer the body on caddis and stmulator patterns.

Posted on: 2007/8/7 13:47

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Jack seemed to mention all of the suggestions that I had. Immediately I thought Buggers and Stimulators. Buggers are a staple for me and I've been playing around and tying Stimulators within the past few weeks to toss at some smallies.

Posted on: 2007/8/7 20:06

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
It would probably also make good legs on hopper patterns and save you the nonsense of buying those prefab legs...:)

Posted on: 2007/8/7 20:36

Guest_
((OLIVE!!!!)))) Gahhhhh!!
The question IS..with "OLIVE".................WHAT SHADE of olive? Every time I see this color mentioned, I think of the time I went through my tying desk and counted up 41 shades of "supposed olive"!?!
Anyway, sorry, it's embarrassing to have "material flashbacks" like that, in front of people!
One nice thing about Olive, regardless of it's "shade"........... is it redyes very nicely, to BLACK, a much more, useful color, in the sizes you say you have! (DON'T forget, though, to remove one of the larger hackles for your hat!)

Posted on: 2007/8/7 22:08

From Lehigh Valley, PA
I'll probably end up tying some preposterous stimulators to throw at bass and sunnies.

Posted on: 2007/8/7 22:40

- Homer J. Simpson

From Bozeman
I, unfortunately, own the other quarter of this misbegotten hackle and would just say that it's entirely too stiff and "high quality" to make too many buggers. I'm going to make a bunch of patented Jay hopulators... Maybe a few humpinators too.

It might not be that unfortunate after all.

Posted on: 2007/8/8 0:32

From Altoona, PA
I would just tie up your favorite flies and give 'em a shot. I have a feeling the color of the hackle won't be deadly. It may even be good. An olive hackled adams? Why not?

Posted on: 2007/8/8 7:14

From Lehigh Valley, PA
I already tied a parachute adams with it, and it looks pretty good. I figure with parachute patterns I can use a slightly oversized hackle.

Posted on: 2007/8/8 10:44

- Homer J. Simpson

From Gunpowder River, MD
Strip'em down for quill body's. Large Olives of spring, (Drunella cornuta)...Olive spinner bodys are dark green with shades of black. Olive grizz would do just fine...

Posted on: 2007/8/9 14:18

From Altoona, PA
Yep. Lots of guys say they tye parachutes with a hackle one size larger than "normal".

Always a good idea to carry a couple big flies in your box too. Especially if you fish until it gets dark out.

Posted on: 2007/8/9 15:04

From Bozeman
Haha. "If" he fishes til it gets dark out. Ian is the original nighthawk. He's one of the only few people I know that wants to stay as long as I do.

Honestly, though. When I get my part of that stuff from you, Ian... I'm thinkin some big parachute hopper pattern of some sort.

Posted on: 2007/8/9 17:37

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
lets see, the gordon has a olive hue...the green drake, blue quills actually have some olive cast to them, sometimes its not the color we see but the color the fish see.....try looking through their eyes....

Posted on: 2007/8/9 20:16

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Like flybinder says there are a lot of different shades. But Olive and green have always been a great color for me out west. I would even play around with using it on a two hackled fly like an Adams. You'll get a little different look with each color hackle you use with it. My first choice would be some caddis pattern. Experiment and when you come up with that killer pattern, have fun with it and charge an arm and leg for the pattern.

Posted on: 2007/8/10 22:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com