not just a swap, a royal MF of a swap.

gfen

gfen

I thought about doign this over the summer, but never bothered. Since I was reminded that my posts were too long to read, I noticed again.

Who's up for a royal fly swap? Small, ten people, ten flies. All based off the Royal Coachman, because there's so many variations...although I wouldn't even care if people offered their own version of the same fly.

I mean, I do enjoy the Royal Wulff, although I tie a much less hackled version than most. Then, I know that Lee Wulff favoured a single, non-split wing. There's the Royal Trude, the Royal Humpy, the Royal Coachman wet, the RC dry, the RC streamer, and no doubt countless other variations of a theme.

I thought about this whole idea again, as I whipped up another Royal Coachman streamer, using arctic fox in lieu of bucktail, a material that looks even better than marabou and has more life than antron wings (done that, too).

So, is anyone interested in this? Make 'em as modern or as classic as you want (if someone ties on an eyeless hook with a gut snell, you're my new hero).

1 gfen. royal coachman streamer.
2 little lehigh. royal elk hair caddis.

(other swaps only goto 10...)

One fly per person required, extra flies for moderating staff is encouraged, but not neccessary. If Frederick joins, you don't have to make any for him, they'll just get lost in the mail anyways.

I'm all about nostalgia of late I'm in. Size 10 or 12 fly do you prefer? I'll name my pattern shortly. It'll be a classic.

littlelehigh wrote:
I'm all about nostalgia of late I'm in. Size 10 or 12 fly do you prefer? I'll name my pattern shortly. It'll be a classic.

Whatever you want, the suggestion is its something you'd actually fish. :)

Maybe I'll create an Al's Rat Wulff since you wouldn't be caught dead fishing an Al's Rat.

littlelehigh wrote:
Maybe I'll create an Al's Rat Wulff since you wouldn't be caught dead fishing an Al's Rat.

Really? I'll have to go back in time to tell myself that. Also, Al's Rat is perfectly acceptable if you grease the line so it sits up top. :)

I might have to try that tonight, actually. Itty bitty ones. A piece of hair and a turn of herl. Its a mission!

I'd be interested. Any links to a bunch of Royal ties so I can pick one?

MEH TL;DR

i tye a size eight wet RC with biot wings.is that too big for most?i could easily tye it smaller.

gfen giddily wrote:

3 shakey (omg, omg, omg shakey's in! /life)
4 who cares?
5 who cares?
6 who cares?
7 who cares?
8 who cares?
9 who cares?
10 who cares?
11 who cares?

Fredrick wrote:
MEH TL;DR

Shame, I just sat down and made a special 5/0 stainless one in case you joined so you could have one for PA and one for NJ.

Shakey (swoon), if you use 'em in 8, tie 'em in 8.

Wsender: Whatever you want, really. Its a pretty much and open qurstion.. The Royal Wulff was just a hairwing Royal Coachman, after all, and its the greatest fly, ever.

3 shakey. rc wet, biot wing var. (omgomgomg)
4 wsender. parachute royal humpy.
5 good fortune, partridge-and-royal.
6 brookiebuster101. royal wet, variant.

Put me down for a partridge and royal :-D

What's sick is that I was gifted a bag of golden pheasant tips, and I have absolutely no use for it. I do not enjoy tying or fishing royal anything, but will jump in you guys have trouble filling it up.

Then again, the only fly I used in yellowstone NP was a royal wulff. If anyone wants one baptized this summer, send it my way. :) Will take pics of any fish that it fools.

My avatar just gave me some ideas for the golden pheasant. :)

Parachute royal humpy. Size 12, but I'm open to suggestions....

some of the man love comments actually made me laugh so hard my ribs hurt.you guys are so funny.thanks i needed that!haha

I have been looking for Golden Pheasant tips, willing to buy.

I tie a wetfly variant id be willing to share. But it might be similar to the partridge-and-royal, however I cannot find a pic or the formula of the P&R to reference.

Who cares, everyone's got their own, its a fish catcher and you use it. In!

Alright im in.

LRSABecker wrote:
I have been looking for Golden Pheasant tips, willing to buy.

Dude, you wanted GP tippets or tail? Tippets were all over Somerset, inc Badger Creek who sells giant bags of B grade for pennies.

But, IIRC, you told HA and I tails.

Back