Noob Fly Tier-Tool Question

J

JasonS

I plan to start tying my own flies and I need some advice on tools. Since the streams are all blow'd up due to rain/snow melt and I got some visa gift cards to burn, I was thinking about heading down to Orvis and getting some stuff to get started. I already have a cheap vice that will seem to work for the time being. I was looking at this tool set from Orvis:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=753Q&dir_id=1273&group_id=1279&cat_id=5206&subcat_id=6154

Is this a good basic set? Is it a rip off? Are there any other tools I should be considering also? The flies I plan on tying initially would be woolly buggers, scuds, pheasant tails and midges.

The tools are top notch, but you might be able to beat the price by a few bucks by buying non-Orvis. The bobbin is the only thing I'd even think about improving on - I really like Tiemco ceramic ones. Those hackle pliers are the bomb! The finger pads work wonders.

Eventually, you'll want to add to it, like a hair stacker, and a pair of smooth jaw needle nose pliers for pinching barbs, but all the tools there are ones you'll use.

I once bought an Orvis Clearwater tool set for a travel kit, and it came with the best scissors I've ever found. I tried to buy more, but they weren't the same as what I got in the kit.

I'd go for it (the master set) - not a bad deal.....

Pick up a Rubbermaid plastic shoe box at Wally World, and a cedar block. Put all your stuff in the box with the cedar block - it'll keep the bugs away. As you add more stuff, just get more boxes and cedar blocks. Cheap and effective storage....

check cabelas fly tying site they have a dr. slick tool set with a small hair stacker a set of 4 inch scissors,whip finisher,bobbin,bobbin threader,and bodkin all for 50.00 I have a few dr slick tools and like them very much especially the scissors. Either set will serve you well but 30 more in your pocket for hooks or any other supplies is something to think about

Good stuff HA, thanks. I do realize I could probably save a few bucks going non-Orvis, but the guy down at the Orvis shop really hooked me up the last time I was in there. So I don't mind spending a few more dollars as gratitude, so long as the quality is there.

PS-Got your pm reply, I'll give you a call on monday or tuesday.

ftf,

I appreciate the recommendation. $30 is certainly nothing to spit at. As I mentioned in my response to HA, I'd like to spend the dough at Orvis.

JasonS wrote:
PS-Got your pm reply, I'll give you a call on monday or tuesday.

Best time to call is between 2pm and 6pm, or I'm liable to be comatose.

That Dr. Slick kit is OK, but the bobbin in the Master set is better (it's a Griffin Supreme ceramic). That's a really good bobbin to start with due to how smooth it is. The Master set also has two pair of scissors and a pair of tweezers (all identical to Dr. Slick's), so it's a wash, price wise.

Here's a hair stacker I like best (cheap, too):

hair stacker

While you're at Wally World, pick up a bottle of this - (head cement). A cheap pair of fingernail clippers will save those expensive scissors when you cut wire. Orvis actually has a lot of good tying material that is relatively inexpensive. For the flies you have listed, you'd do OK at the Big O.

Most important tool for the beginning tier - single edged razor blade. One swipe over the shank, and you've got a fresh "canvas".
;-)

I will heartily recommend the Dr. Slick set, but you can certainly use everything in this one.

The only things I might add would be a rotating hackle pliers, and a smooth pliers for crimping jaws. A hair stacker is almost neccessary and I'm gonna differ from HA on his choice. I have that Waspi, and its certainly servicable, but I'd prefer one of the nice solid feeling brass jobs. I don't see any at the Orvis site, but the Dr. Slick model is a good example.

I gave up on head cement after I kept gluing the bottoms shut, so I use Sally Hansen Hard as Nails hardening top coat for jsut about everything, and a bottle of brush-on superglue is a great idea. Look for the brush-on stuff.

Also, I use a lighter after I razor off the bulk of the crap off my mistakes. Stinks, but saves time carving off the bits of thread.

gfen wrote:
I gave up on head cement after I kept gluing my bottom shut......

Dude! - Ya ain't supposed to drink it!!!! ;-)

Heritage-Angler wrote:
gfen wrote:
I gave up on head cement after I kept gluing my bottom shut......

Dude! - Ya ain't supposed to drink it!!!! ;-)

I'm at my most creative after a few shots of Rumpf...

Touche!!! You never disappoint me. LMFAO !!!

This is the one all my students used when I worked at Orvis:
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=541E&dir_id=1273&cat_id=5090&subcat_id=6156&Group_ID=1279

If you know or have a Dentist in the family ask and get a hold of a root canal tool and glue into a handle. Works very well at picking out dubbing on nymphs.

Back