New vise

P

poopdeck

I hope the tail is not wagging the dog but I am anticipating receiving my customary Cabela's Christmas gift cards from my daughters. I have decided to upgrade my 20 year old vice that has mainly been used for tying larger bucktails and other jgs. I have pretty much settled on a Peak rotary vise. Wondering if anybody use this vise and if you have any good or bad things to say about them?

peak vise usually gets good reviews. reading reviews is one aspect in chosing a vise but should not be the only reason for buying a particular brand. just because some reviewers might think it the best thing since sliced bread doesnt mean that much to me. i have to see it to believe it.

your bets bet is to go to a fly shop or in your case cabelas and try out their demo vises. YOU may not like a vise because of how the way it clamts a hook, how it may lack in how your hand is positioned etc. you really need the hands on experience to judge if any particular vise is right for YOU.

I have a peak vise, love it, made here I believe.

I have a Peak as well and really like it. I did get some of the upgrades: d-arm, midge jaws, material clip and the brass screws.

It's heavy base sits well on the table and the rotary is very smooth.

I think you'd be very happy with it!

I also have the Peak and I really like it. It feels like its built solid and have tied flies all the way down to a 24 on it. I would try a renzetti traveler as well since I feel that gives a little more room to work on smaller flies and is also a very nice vise. Peak does have the midge jaws you can get and swap out pretty easily.

thanks for the comments. I like the peak because it looks more industrial, its built in the usa and the reviews are very promising. I will look at the traveler as well but the extra fifty is a concern and it does not look too different from the peak. I have 3X hands and I just don't see enough of a size difference to warrant the extra money. However, looking at vises over the internet is far different from seeing them in person. Still pretty much sold on the peak but I will give the traveler a fair look.

I looked at one at Bass Pro but my current, Anvil, is still working pretty well. So I passed on a new Peak. A friend who ties 1000's of flies a year (professionally) got a Peak and likes it a lot.

Back