Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: New Tyer Getting a Little Frustrated ...

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:

Got it and I def feel I've been using to much dubbing on all so far

This depends on the size of the fly, the pattern, and the type of dubbing you are using. Each variable will require changes in how much you use. On The Al's rats you have a little too much perhaps. However on the scud you don't have nearly enough and it's not picked out making it look even more anemic.

Quote:

Per the underlined .... when I 'spin' the dubbing onto the thread instead of back and forth which I've been doing u want me to just go in one direction or am I missing something?

When applying dubbing to thread you want to rub or twist it on in one direction. Don't rub it back and forth between you thumb and index as if you were trying to rub some dried glue of your fingers. This twists it in one direction the immediately untwists it in the other. Instead, you want to rub only in one direction. Dubbing works by twisting the fur and hair fibers together around your thread.

Posted on: 2/21 22:19

From Etters,Pa
Stagger anytime you wanna get together and work on some stuff you let me know and I'll make a road trip.

Posted on: 2/21 22:22

From Couldn't Care Less
Thanks dog .. we'll talk @ the instructional and try to get a feel for schedules. KOP area is probably a decent middle

Quote:
PKev wrote:

Kill it. Kill it with fire. (or razor blades)

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2/21 22:53

From Lewistown, PA
I really love the videos from tightline production. They're really informative, and the filming is great. You really get up close and can see how he's doing things. Keep watching them. Davie McPhail also makes great tying videos. His can be a little advanced sometimes, though.

I also whip finish my flies - just takes some practice. Oh - scuds are usually tied on curved "scud" hooks - looks like the one you posted is in a standard nymph hook. I wouldn't start with a scud pattern as someone new to fly tying, BTW. Scud back is hard to work with when you're starting off. I'd go for hares ears, pheasant tails, wooly buggers, simple caddis larvae.

Oh and if you need a confidence boost, tie a couple green weenies! They're super easy, and are good for practicing the basics. All you need is chartreuse ultra chinelle and thread. Maybe a bead if you want it.

I agree with another poster about your wooly bugger saddle - it's too fluffy. Pick a feather with fibers that are a little stiffer and better separated. Those tying kits can have some pretty terrible materials in them, I think. I bought one when I first started tying and wasn't that happy with it.

Posted on: 2/22 3:32

Edited by jeremymcon on 2014/2/22 3:52:10
Edited by jeremymcon on 2014/2/22 3:52:58

From Abington
Quote:

delta_dog wrote:
Stagger anytime you wanna get together and work on some stuff you let me know and I'll make a road trip.

Ditto...

Posted on: 2/22 7:11

From Christiana, Delaware
Your flies look good, they will fish. Like others said, use the half hitch and you'll be good.

Posted on: 2/22 9:20

If you spend 15 minutes with anyone who uses a Marterilli Whip Finisher you will be on your way. As stated above, watch a few videos on how to use the tool and practice on a bare hook first. Here is a link to one good video:

http://midcurrent.com/videos/how-to-use-a-whip-finish-tool/

Posted on: 2/22 9:47

From Lambertville
Quote:

SteelerFan wrote:
If you spend 15 minutes with anyone who uses a Marterilli Whip Finisher you will be on your way. As stated above, watch a few videos on how to use the tool and practice on a bare hook first. Here is a link to one good video:

http://midcurrent.com/videos/how-to-use-a-whip-finish-tool/

That's the video I used to learn the whip finish plus I used a bare large size 2 hook. My 'aha' moment was making the "number 4" above the hook with the position of the thread and the whip finish tool. It's shown at 30 seconds into the video.

On the first try I gave up after 20 min of frustration. The following night, after about 20 min I got it right. On day 3 I was practicing it.

Posted on: 2/22 12:33

From North East PA
Stagger - the whip finisher drove me crazy for a while, but I saw the vid that RC referenced and it clicked all at once. You'll get it down soon. Keep at it!

Posted on: 2/23 18:24

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
http://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcPhail

I agree with Jeremy. Watch Davey McPhail tie flies on Youtube. Don't try to follow his narration; he's a Scotsman, so he speaks a foreign language. But watch his technique and learn how to handle the materials. Start with his basic nymphs and soft hackles.
When I first began to tie, I quickly became frustrated with the whip finisher and gave it up. Then one day a fellow named Jim McAndrews showed me in person how to do it and suddenly it was easy. One or two lessons can really help.

Posted on: 2/24 17:06

From Woodstock, MD
Many clubs have tying sessions where you can learn from the experts. I know of one in DE and one in south east PA (near where I used to live) White Clay Fly Fishers. Anyway, it's a good way to jump start your technique.

Posted on: 3/6 9:31

From SE PA
Stag check out this site www.bucksflytyers.com

Most of these are my ties. Some are Beadhead"s. (Especially the woven) I learned to tie from LouM and Beadhead. Within a couple months I was tying many of these.

A number of guys from BCTU used to tie once a month at Dave's on 611. Beadhead needs to get that started up again.

Best place to learn is where you can tie with some old pros watching over your shoulder. And old they are!

The frogs and coffee bean flies are also Beadhead's ties.

Posted on: 3/6 12:04

From SE PA
The top one on this page works for smallies and rock bass in Tyler Park.

streamer

Posted on: 3/6 12:09

From Perkasie PA
yes, Materelli FTW. Once you learn it, sooo easy..

also, make your rats more sparse..too much dubbing.

Posted on: 3/7 13:51

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
franklin wrote:

Stag check out this site www.bucksflytyers.com

Most of these are my ties. Some are Beadhead"s. (Especially the woven) I learned to tie from LouM and Beadhead. Within a couple months I was tying many of these.

A number of guys from BCTU used to tie once a month at Dave's on 611. Beadhead needs to get that started up again.

Best place to learn is where you can tie with some old pros watching over your shoulder. And old they are!

The frogs and coffee bean flies are also Beadhead's ties.

Do the BCTU gents get together to tie anymore? (I'm assuming Dave's on 611 is Mainstream outfitters)

For my 1st month+ I’ve been trying to put 2 nights per week aside to tie. I’ve purchased numerous fly’s over the past 2 years so I’ve just been concentrating on a few that I never bought working on the basic skills. I’ve returned the 2 books I bought, for now, cause I’m liking youtube. A class where they concentrate on the basics and can answer questions right when u have’em, as u tie, while someone is looking over ur shoulder would be beneficial for me. That said ... when I sit down with a drink and tie there is something ‘romantic’ and relaxing abt it. Hoping I can get a trout to eat one of my flies @ the newbie jam next week.

Posted on: 3/9 9:53

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com