From Dauphin PA
You mean the crack on Becker wasn't worth it? LOL

Posted on: 2011/7/20 12:23

Re: New Flies just off the vise

From Eastern PA
Quote:

CatchingChrome wrote:
Wow,
I feel like I just wasted 15 minutes of my life reading this thread.

Might I suggest a speed reading book or at least one that can get you up to average person speed?

Posted on: 2011/7/20 13:31

From Delaware River
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

CatchingChrome wrote:
Wow,
I feel like I just wasted 15 minutes of my life reading this thread.

Might I suggest a speed reading book or at least one that can get you up to average person speed?

http://www.google.com/products/catalo ... gGZyszHCg&ved=0CFAQ8wIwBA

Posted on: 2011/7/20 13:36

nvrmnd

Posted on: 2011/7/20 18:15

Edited by Ramcatt on 2011/7/20 18:32:02

From New Castle, PA
I have a new fly I just came up with. It has thin strips of bacon wrapped up the hook. The collar is dubbed with scrambled eggs and the head is made out of buttered toast molded at the eye of the hook. I call it the mc bacon egger. It is used to catch trout in the early mornings before they have a chance to have a cup of coffee.

Posted on: 2011/7/20 21:32

From Souderton PA
I'll attempt to be constructive here. Not that I think anyone cares at this point, but the material is clearly too far down the bend of the hook. I'm curious how you clamp your hooks in the vise. If you are clamping that far down towards the point you are stressing the metal on the weakest section of the hook. I know that you have never had a hook break, but less experienced tyers might want to consider this and use a more standard positioning of the hook in the vise (at least until they hit the 5000 hook/year point).
On a slightly less constructive note, 10,000 hooks/year would require tying more than 1 fly per hour every day 24/7. That sure is a lot of tying!

Posted on: 2011/7/21 0:46

From Ransom, Pennsylvania
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:
On a slightly less constructive note, 10,000 hooks/year would require tying more than 1 fly per hour every day 24/7. That sure is a lot of tying!

Well, the flies in question are basic caddis larva-type flies that any average tyer could probably whip up in less than five minutes, so that number might not be all that unrealistic.

Posted on: 2011/7/21 6:49

From North Central PA
sniperfreak lays down the smack... my, my this IS an enjoyable thread to read during my cup of coffee and my McBacon Egger

Posted on: 2011/7/21 6:53

There is a saying in Hollyweird "The only bad publicity is no publicity".
82 responses and still going strong-OP must be loving it,Frankly speaking.lol

Posted on: 2011/7/21 7:32

From New Castle, PA
I do tie more than 1 fly a day. haha Actually I do go through about 10,000 hooks a year. I try and get at least 4 to eight dozen tied a day. Plus those caddis that were pictured on this thread probably took a little over a minute to tie each. They are quick ties that can fill up your fly box with a variety of colors and are not hard on the wallet. Isn't that the name of the game anyways have a huge variety that you can tie cheap so if you break off then who cares. Plus the picture angle makes the bend look shorter. The tubing actually is is a little above center on the bend. With the barb intact this is plenty of room to hook and hold a fish.

Posted on: 2011/7/21 10:09

From North Central PA
Tying 4 to 8 dozen flies a day will make you go insane. I'm living proof.

Posted on: 2011/7/21 11:59

From New Castle, PA
I know it burns you out sometimes.

Posted on: 2011/7/21 13:40

From Souderton PA
Quote:

sniperfreak223 wrote:
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:

Well, the flies in question are basic caddis larva-type flies that any average tyer could probably whip up in less than five minutes, so that number might not be all that unrealistic.

Well, yeah, he's not tying anything complex, but still that is more than 2 dozen flys/day every day. I'm not saying it is impossible, just that it is a lot of tying for someone of his particular talent.

Posted on: 2011/7/21 16:42

From Souderton PA
Quote:

Leteras wrote:
I do tie more than 1 fly a day. haha Actually I do go through about 10,000 hooks a year. I try and get at least 4 to eight dozen tied a day. Plus those caddis that were pictured on this thread probably took a little over a minute to tie each. They are quick ties that can fill up your fly box with a variety of colors and are not hard on the wallet. Isn't that the name of the game anyways have a huge variety that you can tie cheap so if you break off then who cares. Plus the picture angle makes the bend look shorter. The tubing actually is is a little above center on the bend. With the barb intact this is plenty of room to hook and hold a fish.

Yes, 1 fly/hour... But seriously, how do you clamp your hooks in the vise and still get the tubing that far around the bend?

Quote:

Leteras wrote:
They are quick ties that can fill up your fly box with a variety of colors and are not hard on the wallet. Isn't that the name of the game

No.

Posted on: 2011/7/21 16:47

Click to see original Image in a new window

supposed to be a top seller on my flies in links.
Description: The Electric Caddis - Beadhead's translucent effect underwater (like that of the natural) is in part, what makes this fly so productive. I incorporate Ultrawire, in different colors, inserted inside of hollow tubing (stretch tubing) wrapped over an underbody of tying thread with a Realfly™ colored bead for the head. The Electric Caddis-Beadhead is a must in any serious angler's fly box, especially during the fall and winter months.

Posted on: 2011/7/21 20:34

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 28 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
116 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com